Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: This springs babies.... (PICS)  (Read 9139 times)

Offline Mr T-Bone

• New Bee
    • Briarhillfarms
This springs babies.... (PICS)
« on: April 29, 2007, 11:27:50 am »

Bambino

Snoopy and Tigger

Goliath

Rouen ducklings

Buff Orpingtons

Ichabod

Topsy and Turvy

Popsicle

Still expecting 1 more lamb, a Jersey/Angus calf, and a litter of pigs.
"Do your duty in all things...You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less."
Robert E. Lee

http://briarhillfarms.bravehost.com/index.html

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: This springs babies.... (PICS)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 11:53:42 am »
Did the chicks come from brooding or an incubator?

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Mr T-Bone

• New Bee
    • Briarhillfarms
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 12:01:07 pm »
Did the chicks come from brooding or an incubator?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Incubator
"Do your duty in all things...You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less."
Robert E. Lee

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 07:49:24 pm »
Oh how incredibly darling...you have quite a farm...thanks for sharing... :-D

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 08:17:36 pm »
yeah baby animals are just too cute, one starts thinking if they really deserve to end up on our plates...ah well, few things change when they grow up   :-\

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 08:52:07 pm »
Now I can be as sentimental as the next guy, but have you all ever smelled a baby lamb, it smells like . . .lamb!!! :-D  I mean really. . . dinner. . . rack of. . . chops!!  It really freaked me out when I was a kid.

Mark

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 11:08:40 pm »
I do not eat mammals...none on my plate thank you very much...

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 10:45:59 am »
Now those are some really nice pictures.  I see the Roen babies, they look so much like the babies the banties hatched out the other day.  I wonder if the Roen eggs got under the bantie somehow, they are in the same house.  I am going to have to ask my sister if some got mixed up.

We have some Indian Runners hatching out.  There was a turmoil in that hen house and I think that a chicken got in and disturbed the eggs while they were hatching out.  My sister had to bring all the eggs inside to finish incubating.  The Roen's eggs were a mixture of the Roen and Indian Runner and had many crushed and broken up.  I will know today how many eggs were destroyed and how many hatched out.  It was kind of a sad thing.  But things all work out in the wash.  I post details.  Have a wonderful day, great life, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 05:35:56 pm »
i'll confess my ignorance of goats and lambs...i don't mean to sound like someone looking at a dairy cow and wondering where the steaks come from, but do you eat them?

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 07:41:10 pm »
i'll confess my ignorance of goats and lambs...i don't mean to sound like someone looking at a dairy cow and wondering where the steaks come from, but do you eat them?
I know we eat lamb, I love it, but I learned something I had never thought about with regards to goats, which lead to a huge lightbulb going off in my head WRT cows.....to get milk you must have pregnancy and a subsequent baby.  What farms do with baby goats I'm not so sure, but I'm sure that's where the veal industry came from.   :shock:  I had never thought of it!  Hasn't changed my mind WRT eating meat, but it is food for thought (no pun intended).

I do try to eat only the meat that's been raised naturally, and eat eggs only from hens who get to peck around outside like real hens.  However, I am most definitely an omnivore - I need to eat meat, just a bit, once a day.

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 08:24:38 pm »
Yep, hate to break it to all you folks who don't eat veal for ethical reasons.  If you drink milk your supporting the veal industry.  So the solution. . . get your own cow.  Borrow a bull.  Raise calf and sell it as an adult.  Or sell the calf to someone who "swears" they won't eat it.  Heck, sell the calf.  Even if they eat it had a life about a thousand times better than the ones that are sold as veal in the supermarket. 

Mark

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 09:46:23 am »
Well, I have recently had veal in a restaurant, have never tried it before.  I must say, that I really am quite into that tastly little morsel.  I love meat, I love the rich gravies and sauces I make using the juices...hmmm....miss that wintertime potatoes, gravy, pot roast.  The summer is the bbq, and not an awful lot of juicy sauces are made this time of year.  I do carry on.

I can't wait for all the little Muscovey ducks grow up to be on our tables for dinner.  Now that is meat worth eating, no fat, and lots and lots of meat on these guys.  They are grown for meat birds cause they are so big.  We are getting turkeys within the next week.  Now that is going to be a weird thing around here.  I hope one doesn't chase any of the kids up a tree, like what happened to Brian Bray when he was a kid!!!!!!!

I remember many many years ago when my husband and girls lived with my other sister and her family on the side of a mountain, that a coyote got one of our lambs.  It was still warm when she found it, so she took care of every need and made it into food for the table.  I was so grossed out, to this day I cannot eat lamb, what a cryin' shame.  Cause I know how good baby beef are, I bet baby sheep would be just as good.  Have a wonderful day, great day, love the life your living, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 12:53:21 pm »
i love meat.  just put a 1/4 beef in the freezer.  i just don't know the difference between meat goats or milk goats.  wool sheep or meat sheep.  wondered what he had  :-).  don't care if he eats them!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 02:09:41 pm »
P.E.T.A.  member myself. People Eating Tasty Animal!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 11:18:27 pm »
 :-X

I have learned to keep my mouth shut around eat eaters....hhhhmmmm

:shock:

Offline Mr T-Bone

• New Bee
    • Briarhillfarms
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 07:49:03 pm »
Sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner, I've been ill and in the hospital....

To answer your question, we do eat our goats and sheep, as well as our cattle and chickens. We also have one goat for milking, she gives just over 2 quarts a day. We have a Jersey heifer that is due to calf this week, and we will be milking her too. There is a distinct difference between dairy goats and meat goats, I'll try to dig up some pictures soon and show the differences.
Robert E. Lee

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 10:11:43 pm »
sorry you have not been well.  hope you have recovered. 

thanks for the info.  i'll look forward to the pictures.  :-)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 11:07:08 am »
Mr. T. Bone.  Sorry to hear of your malade.

I wish that we had a milker cow.  I love nothing more on earth than the taste of fresh cow's milk.  We had a Jersey many years ago, her name was Candy.  I loved Candy's milk.  As you know, Jersey cows have a huge creme content in their milk, and we used to make so many products from the creme.   My mouth is watering now thinking about that.  I cannot get "raw" milk.  It is against the law to sell it here and I know no one with a cow that I could even coerce into giving me "raw" milk.  I know "raw" milk isn't supposed to be good for you.  But it never did me any harm when I drank so much, so many years ago.  If I had a cow, I would drink it raw.

I can't stand goat's milk.  Maybe it was the way that I took care of it when milking our goats, I don't know.  But to this day, I could not drink the goat milk.  You are lucky to have these milkers at your place.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 11:45:54 am »
farm people don't get sick off the raw milk.  it's the city folks that want "healthy" stuff that can't hack the bits of bacteria in the milk.  same with eggs.  i quit selling my brown eggs years ago because i was afraid someone would get salmonella and i'd end up in court.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2007, 10:30:06 am »
raw milk might be risky, but still there is not only HUGE difference between packed milk and..hmm how to say it..cows milk :-D

we lost our last cow with the last calf, she broke her spine so..she had to go, now we're raising calfs on milk substitute, it's actually easyier, but..it would be nice to have home milk

and i sure do agree with cindi, goat milk, oh thank you NO, we also had a goat..for about 3 years i think, but we actually got tired of her.

anything