Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Jo in Anchorage Alaska  (Read 2775 times)

Offline beegrlAK

• New Bee
    • Blogtime in Alaska
Jo in Anchorage Alaska
« on: June 24, 2009, 02:21:58 am »
Hello to all of you, haven't written at all here, but I've been reading alot!  You can see my beehives here under my recent entry Blogtime in Alaska.. oops it wouldn't let me link.

I've been moving along with my first two hives, one a carniolan queen and an italian.  My carniolan has become honeybound I'm afraid.  No new larvae in my frames when I checked tonight and I've only accumulated 8 frames of honeycomb with her.  Haven't ever taken much syrup and it's just kind of depressing!  Thinking about requeening this week possibly.

My italian hive on the other hand is going gangbuster.  I have 8-frame boxes full of honeycomb and brood,and reversed my hive bodies tonight and added a honey super.  They are loading in everything and have been a joy to watch.  Fanning two weeks ago with the aroma that I've never smelled before!

Cold here in Alaska, 50-60's, but the sun arrived today!  Thanks for your comraderie here.  

Spent the weekend fly fishing with my husband on our anniversary in the rain.
This link is to my family homepage:
http://web.mac.com/thomja/iWeb/Site/Howdy.html

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Jo in Anchorage Alaska
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 08:43:32 am »
Welcome beegrlAK. I would welcome a few days of your weather. It has been 95 - 100 degrees plus for about two weeks. Try wearing a bee suit with those temperatures.

Did you catch any fish? When can we see some pictures?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 08:50:24 am »
You can see my beehives here under my recent entry Blogtime in Alaska.. oops it wouldn't let me link.

email the link to photos@beemaster.com and a mod will append it for you....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 10:01:28 am »
Hello and Welcome  BeegrlAK
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny 

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 11:15:17 am »
Hello and Welcome! :)

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 05:30:22 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  This is a great place for a beginner.  A vast wealth of information among members that can't wait to answer any question.

Hopefully I'll be in Anchorage for the Fur Rondezvous some day.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 10:20:24 am »
Man I miss Anchorage!!!!  Chilkoot Charlie's  (We Cheat The Other Guy And Pass The Savings On To You) and the Bush Company

Offline sparks

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 11:35:26 am »
Jo,

Like you I lurk more than post.  Welcome to the light.  This is a great place to learn and get your fears removed. (well sorta)  You sure live in a great place.  We toured there a few years ago and if I had been a bit younger I would never have  left.  I hope you enjoy your online information and social experience here.

Chuck (where it will get to 104 today) Sparks

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 01:11:13 pm »
Jo, welcome to our forum, great that you have found us.   Stick around, we love new members and this will be a place where you can ask questions, tell your stories, tales and experiences and make some new friends.  Have a wonderful day, to love and live this great life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 09:12:50 pm »
Welcome Jo.
Bobby