Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping driven purchases.... :-)  (Read 7055 times)

Moots

Re: Beekeeping driven purchases.... :-)
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 08:21:27 am »
You still don't own a truck. That's a Dodge.   :evil:   :lau:

:lau: :lau: :lau:

JPinMO,
You're a woman, your opinion doesn't count.  :-D :lau:

Moots

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 08:24:29 am »

I buy the best product I can for my money...Probably the most American (i.e. Supporting Capitalism) thing anyone can do.

The whole concept of capitalism is that companies who produce quality products at a competitive price, survive...The ones that don't perish.  Pretty simple actually!

Excellent point, Mr Moots. X:X

....Except for when you agree with me.  :-D  :laugh:

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 08:39:59 am »
Nice truck Moots. Maybe I will catch sight of it on my way to the office one day lol.
I bought a truck for "camping" back in 2009. We only use it for camping. It has 11000 miles on it today. Most expensive piece of camping equipment ever.

Bailey, why a non radial extractor for foundationless?
A non radial lays the frame against the basket wall and take the pressure off the comb during spin cycle. The radial would tear the comb apart due to the lack of foundation holding of wire or plastic used. After watching a couple videos on extracting you can even see some comb stress using non radial on foundationless combs and makes you realize the damage that would occur using radial. Would be a mess not easy to recover from. :shock:
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 01:05:01 am »

....Except for when you agree with me.  :-D  :laugh:

Nice save, Mootsie; you are forgiven for your momentary misogyny  :-D  :pinkelephant:
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline Tightwad

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 09:16:32 am »
I Love it I'm going to tell my wife that I need to replace my old 19 old ford truck with a new FORD. For the Bees.  And after she stops LOL I will go sit in my old truck and thing bought my bees !!!!

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 12:23:38 pm »
those sideboxes make great coolers.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 08:36:09 am »
Really nice truck Moots. Hope you get lots of years out of it. Your bees are going to be riding in style.
Later,
Ray

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 01:01:04 pm »
I just know Dodge means....Dodge the payments until you can get it running again.   :-D

TOYOTA, made in USA.

Arkwood,
Ford, Chevy, Dodge, made in Canada and Mexico.

I buy American made, even if it carries a foreign name.  :th_thumbsupup:

Toyota's are only put together here to avoid the import taxes. They are made in Japan.
Don't get me wrong, I own a Prerunner. Very few problems with it. I got a deal on it that was too good to be true when I bought it from a friends father. Florida made us re sign all the tax paperwork cause they didn't believe the price.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 07:39:33 pm »
I also needed a vehicle for beekeeping.  Our house is just over a mile from our commercial space, and if I have to walk back and forth more than once a day it feels like it just eats up too much time.  We've been getting by with 1 vehicle for a while, so it's time we added another.  I chose something with an air cooled engine.

Moots

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 01:17:05 pm »
I also needed a vehicle for beekeeping.  Our house is just over a mile from our commercial space, and if I have to walk back and forth more than once a day it feels like it just eats up too much time.  We've been getting by with 1 vehicle for a while, so it's time we added another.  I chose something with an air cooled engine.

deknow,
Nice...That thing looks pretty fun, not to mention I'm sure the mileage numbers are pretty hard to beat! Although I'd imagine hauling extra wooden ware and other assorted Beek equipment could get a little tricky.  :)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2013, 11:06:25 am »
well, after all my praise of ram trucks i just traded mine in for a ford.  i sat down with a couple of dodge dealers and they were trying to gig me on my trade in and i didn't qualify for all the advertised discount.  ford gave me 1000 more than the kbb trade in value for my truck and sold me a much nicer truck than the ram i was looking at. i'm having a hard time adjusting because i've been driving rams for 8 out of the last 10 years.  i reach for something and it's not where it should be.  the rams have better ergonomics but for 120 a month lower payment and about 5 mpg better mileage i'll have to adapt.  i drive over 40k miles a year so i trade every 2 years anyway.  we'll see who needs to make a sale in 2015.  enjoy the truck, they're nice. i would have rather bought a ram but money talks and in the end a truck is just another work tool for me.
the storage bins in the back floorboards make nice coolers too.

Offline Leather Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2013, 11:56:46 am »
Good move : )

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2013, 09:10:05 pm »
Nice...That thing looks pretty fun, not to mention I'm sure the mileage numbers are pretty hard to beat! Although I'd imagine hauling extra wooden ware and other assorted Beek equipment could get a little tricky.  :)
I might buy a little trailer for it...at least I'm going to put backpack straps on a plastic nuc box...I want to be able to bring grafting larvae back to the house from an outyard just over a mile away :)

It is really fun...I bought it from a kid who had it all souped up for racing.  I'm too scared to find out how fast it will go...probably 35 with me on it (I'm light).  I added a clutch (it was direct drive, so the engine stopped with the scooter did...scoot to start it back up), so now I can idle, start going uphill, and start with a pull cord, and geared it back down to stock ("gear" is a bit of an overstatment...there is a metal rod that comes off the crankshaft...it rubs against the tire and turns it...you gear it up or down with different diameter bars).  I've taken it around town....it feels like flying and skiing at the same time.  We will see what I think when it feels like "falling".

deknow

Moots

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2013, 10:44:49 pm »
well, after all my praise of ram trucks i just traded mine in for a ford.  i sat down with a couple of dodge dealers and they were trying to gig me on my trade in and i didn't qualify for all the advertised discount.  ford gave me 1000 more than the kbb trade in value for my truck and sold me a much nicer truck than the ram i was looking at. i'm having a hard time adjusting because i've been driving rams for 8 out of the last 10 years.  i reach for something and it's not where it should be.  the rams have better ergonomics but for 120 a month lower payment and about 5 mpg better mileage i'll have to adapt.  i drive over 40k miles a year so i trade every 2 years anyway.  we'll see who needs to make a sale in 2015.  enjoy the truck, they're nice. i would have rather bought a ram but money talks and in the end a truck is just another work tool for me.
the storage bins in the back floorboards make nice coolers too.

10framer,
Hope it works out for you, sounds like it was a no-brainer given the numbers.  As I said, I'm really not a truck guy, so I didn't go in with any brand loyalty issues.  While I was very happy that both Motor Trend and edmunds.com had the Ram as truck of the year, any of the reviews will tell you that you can't go wrong with any of the major brands. And honestly, my ending up with the Ram was more based on the deal simply being too good not to make it.  :)

I think you played it smart by getting the best value for your dollar...The strongest negotiating tool without a doubt is being willing to walk away from a deal, sometimes it just has to be done.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 06:19:15 am »
"I think you played it smart by getting the best value for your dollar...The strongest negotiating tool without a doubt is being willing to walk away from a deal, sometimes it just has to be done."

That is how you get the best deal. I have been stopped a couple of times on the way out the door. I have also walked when they would not budge.

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin