Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trapout using SHB infected brood  (Read 8778 times)

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
Re: Trapout using SHB infected brood
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 09:02:47 pm »
UPDATE:

I pulled the cone over a month ago, but I still see a huge flurry of activity in and out of the wall.  I'm not seeing any workers carrying pollen this time.  The wall must have had GALLONS of honey in it for it to take this long to rob out.  Am I wrong?  The activity at the entrance to the wall seems like it is robbing, as the bees clustered around it look like they are feeding each other and cleaning each other off.  It looks decidedly different than what I usually see in front of a normal hive.  Anyone else observed this or have any input on this?  It seem like it is taking a L-O-O-O-N-G time to empty out the old hive.  :? Am I getting impatient, or is this normal.  I don't think the old hive has anyone at home any more, as I was working the trap hive and smoked the bees at the wall entrance.  The bees bailed out instead of retreating into the wall.  I'm burned out on having to regularly check on the trap hive.  I'm ready to take it home.  Oh, by the way,  I did end up with a queen after all.  The trap hive is now loaded with brood.
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Trapout using SHB infected brood
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 09:24:02 pm »
WOW, how do I answer this one? First, no, they haven't been robbing the house for a month. They may have been alive and well in the house until the last few days, and have just succumbed to the robbers. They may also still be alive and well, building stronger every day. There are also a number of other possible scenarios. If it were me, I would harvest the hive you have and take it home "at night". Then I would set a nuc with eggs at the site and replace the cone. What happens next is anybody's guess.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*