Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Turkey Dog  (Read 3518 times)

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
Turkey Dog
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:30:59 pm »
Jack

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Turkey Dog
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 07:25:46 pm »
Gary, I would say Jack is one magnificent looking dog.  What is the breed?  Thanks for sharing this beauty of a pic.  Have the most wonderful, greatest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 01:34:54 am »
Jack

Nice looking fellow, but I have never heard of a turkey dog, can you explain?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 03:24:15 am »
Jack is a mixed breed and Turkey hunter extrordinaire.  The nature of a fall Turkey is to stay in a flock.  If you break up, scatter, or bust up a flock and put them off in every direction, they're just desperate to get back together, and they always reassemble right where you break them up.  This is where Jack comes in. He scent trails Turkeys. I take him to the woods, he picks up the trail of a flock of Turkeys and catches up to them.  When he sees Turkeys he barks and chases after them 'til they all fly off. Then we build a blind and wait. No man could ever bust up a flock any better.  Jack is a product of 40 years of breeding by John Byrne of Lowry, Virginia. 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 08:59:14 am »
Gary, well isn't that just plain and simply, interesting.   That would be a cool thing to participate in, I guess soon the time for fall turkey hunting will be coming.  Tell me, what is a blind?  I am raising the Heritage turkeys for food, they are pretty close to the wild turkeys I believe, and I can't wait to try one.  We have two that will be ready for Christmas and a hen that is sitting on another clutch that I hope we will have better luck raising.  The mortality rate of these first turkeys was terrible, we made mistakes and have learned lessons.  Time will tell that tale.  Have fun hunting with your Turkey Dog, it sounds like he loves to do his job, yeah!!!  Have a most wonderful day, living and loving our great planet, Earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 11:31:51 am »
Jack is a mixed breed and Turkey hunter extrordinaire.  The nature of a fall Turkey is to stay in a flock.  If you break up, scatter, or bust up a flock and put them off in every direction, they're just desperate to get back together, and they always reassemble right where you break them up.  This is where Jack comes in. He scent trails Turkeys. I take him to the woods, he picks up the trail of a flock of Turkeys and catches up to them.  When he sees Turkeys he barks and chases after them 'til they all fly off. Then we build a blind and wait. No man could ever bust up a flock any better.  Jack is a product of 40 years of breeding by John Byrne of Lowry, Virginia. 

Thanks for the explanation, I thought that maybe he just liked eating turkey hot dogs! Hey, when he's running around chasing the turkeys and he gets all hot and worn out, do you call him a... uh...   turkey hot dog! ;)

My dear Cindi: http://www.luckyshuntingblinds.com/

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 02:08:27 pm »
A "blind" is a place to hide while hunting.  Either like the ones JP posted (nice) or built on the spot with branches, logs, brush, etc.  I raised wild Turkeys while learning to call.         

anything