Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Registering colonies in California  (Read 3001 times)

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
Registering colonies in California
« on: August 10, 2007, 01:52:07 pm »
Have any of you California bee keepers registered your colonies with the county ag comissioner?  The state law, Food and agricultural code, sections 29040, 29070, and 29100 deal with moving, notification of pesticide spraying and registration.  When I called the county ag comissioner's office the people there didn't know any thing about the registration requirement.  Any experiences?

Thanks,   

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: Registering colonies in California
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 06:24:46 pm »
I have bees in Los Angeles.In 1999 I Emailed the extension guy you know the AG guy.He said if you have more than two behives in California you have to register them.He also that nobody ever does!
Kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline gunny

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 09:47:19 pm »
Aliens are supposed to register too and they don't either.  No big surprise.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 11:13:38 pm »
Annette here, and I haven't heard anything about registering or even how to. I do have a number filed away to call the county to find out about pesticide spraying (for west nile virus). Right now there is no spraying going on in El Dorado County. Thank god!!!

Hope your hives are doing good.

Annette

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 01:18:21 am »
I live in contra costa county I was told by AG.over 9 hives and you have to register I have all my yards on the reg I also maintain certified producers certificate I also maintain a registered brand number. my home location and bees thereof maintain organic reg. with CDFA. They give you a choices to be notified of spaying or not. there was a post earlier about a man who lost his bees due to pesticide.if he was registered he may have been notified about spraying I dont think he was my organic reg for my organic bees makes it difficult or impossible for someone to get approval to spray restricted use around me I was here first and i dont want to lose my small organic crop there are many benefits to registering it is to help you not to be taking lightly 8-) hope this helps on the subject RDY-B

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 11:53:11 am »
It's the concerns about pesticide spraying that prompted me to check on the registration. I will be calling the Ag Comm. so I will be notified of any spraying and can close the hives for the day. Thanks for the info. 

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 11:30:37 pm »
ElDoBill,

Please notify me as well if you hear about any possible spraying.  Please! Please!

Annette

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 02:56:35 pm »
Annette, You bet I'll post if I hear about spraying, It's late in the year for mosquitos though so we maybe good for this year.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 07:03:30 pm »
Thank you

Annette

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 01:42:40 pm »
A final note.  I spoke with the El Dorado county Ag. Commissioner and it seems that the registration program for the state was funded by the state's beekeepers.  That funding ended a few years ago and each county was told to develop their own program.  El Dorado never did.  So although the state statute was never repealed it is not enforced.   El Dorado county does not allow wide area arial spraying.  They do allow some local spraying but very little.   

Thanks for the responses.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 06:21:44 pm »
This is good news. Now do not have to worry for now.

Take care
Annette

anything