Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: To rotate super or not?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
To rotate super or not?
« on: April 04, 2008, 11:26:00 am »
If we choose to not rotate our medium supers in the spring will the bottom super remain empty or partially full the remainder of the year? I was under the impression the queen would eventually use all of the brood chamber even if she started the year halfway up. Am I wrong? Thanks.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
Re: To rotate super or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 12:45:48 pm »
I kept an empty box (just foundation) on the bottom of a weak hive for the last 6 months (from late fall to early spring), my thought was it would act as an additional wind break and let them regulate the temp better.  I think it worked out well.

What I saw was they totally ignore the empty box, and just stayed concentrated in the second box, to the point of 100% utilization.

Since it was totally devoid of brood and stores, I now have put it up on top, within just a week it was full of brood, where they previously just ignored it.

Given your location, for the time being I would just leave it alone, until it warms up.  Then if they still ignore it, then put it on the top of the brood chamber.

btw, I will probably do the same thing next year.  I really like how it worked out.  So next year I will put an box on the bottom, but just frames, no foundation.
I had no condensation problems, and the hive build up fast in the spring, much earlier than I expected.

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
Re: To rotate supers or not?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 04:46:31 pm »
Thank you !! Seems like it would be an excellent time to change out any old or dirty looking foundation. Think I'll have some clean drawn out frames on hand just in case.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: To rotate super or not?
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 12:03:22 am »
>If we choose to not rotate our medium supers in the spring will the bottom super remain empty or partially full the remainder of the year?

If you let her get crowded back down she will move back down.  Just don't let her get crowded too long or they will decide to swarm.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin