Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: falling skies  (Read 12027 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
falling skies
« on: June 11, 2012, 09:50:12 pm »
back on TNT sunday.  at least that's one show i like that they didn't kill......
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: falling skies
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 10:45:56 pm »
Yet.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 11:22:12 pm »
thanks for that!   ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 11:57:33 pm »
Great show! Love it!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 11:06:52 pm »
i am really enjoying this season.  you never hear much about the show, but it's one the top of my list when i get a chance to sit down and watch what i have recorded.

Offline oblib

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 12:45:29 am »
It's one of about only 3hrs a week I watch TV

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 01:18:08 am »
I like Falling Skies a lot too. It obviously is going toward the "Not all aliens are alike" like so many shows have tried to show similar messages.

I remember back in the early days of video-tape rental (years before DVDs) I was in a rental store and all of a sudden 2 cops walked in and approached 2 black guys, and a third black fellow had one of the cops approach him and I heard him say "Just cause I'm black don't mean I'm with them!" and it was a pretty striking moment to me.

Just a year ago or two ago, my neighbor's grand daughter was killed in a car accident - she was a recent graduate of a local high-school and resided in a predominantly black area. There were well over 200 people turned out.

My wife and I attended the viewing and frankly were the only white people there. I felt out of place, eyes looking at us wondering what connection we could possible have with a girl 35 years younger than us and more than apparently of a different race. It was another moment of realism, that I felt, if only for a few minutes how a black person must feel in an area predominantly white, every day.

We live in a very diverse area, seeing people of all races is common. But for a moment I was a minority and it felt strange.

BACK TO FALLING SKIES - I can see the distrust and hatred that needs to be quelled in order to let trust have a chance to work. In the real world, it's like an timid pet laying prone letting you rub its belly, everything in its genes tell it otherwise. That is what the humans need to do, expose themselves, putting all their cards on the table - but frankly they (as a species) have little to lose: humanity is all but wiped out.

Interesting to think a bit deeper into some shows. I think that was something Alcatraz was missing - it had great shows, a story line of old and new inter-tangling often surprising us, but it failed (sadly) to pull off the wow factor to get it back another season.

I have a feeling Falling Skies will go the way of Jericho unless it keeps evolving without jumping the shark too badly. For some reason, few people remember the series SURFACE which I was very saddened to find it was not coming back after possibly the best seasons cliff-hanger ever.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 11:32:49 pm »
Well, I just put the 10 episodes of season one in my queue at netflix.   Had to save season two when ever it comes out.   And with my luck, they will kill it right when I get into it, just like every other good scifi show that came out.   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 01:14:27 am »
it had great shows, a story line of old and new inter-tangling often surprising us, but it failed (sadly) to pull off the wow factor to get it back another season.

they were just getting to the meat of the story with Alcatraz.  the main problem, as i see it, is that people would rather watch mindless reality crap than any show that makes them think or pay attention.

do you realize that shows like MASH and Star Trek would never have a chance these days?

i had a black, liberal lawyer, tell me that people tend to hang with like people.  this was in response to my challenging him on an exclusively black public employee union he represented.  it's not just race.  smart people don't hang out with dumb people.  physically fit people don't hang out with couch potatoes.  probably more examples...   ;)

Falling Skies is as much a morality play as entertainment. that is both it's strength and weakness.  if shallow watchers figure out the under-story, they will probably move on....as they did with Jericho, Kings, Terra Nova,  etc.....

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 05:24:21 pm »
Can't believe it's almost over again for the season - although I really like this show, thinking back the last few weeks, kinda reminded me of the Soprano's last few seasons: even though a lot happened, I really didn't see the WOW FACTOR of last season's cliff hanger (yet).

I think every show (as with Breaking Bad) should have it's own cliff hanger, not just a season finale. I know Falling Skies wont disappoint us, but I think we already have the characters down, now let's kick the plot in the tail.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 01:39:52 pm »
I was watching it and it quit showing. The next time it recorded they were allies with the bubble heads(forget the proper name). Did I miss some shows?

I loved Jericho and Earth II. I'm like yall, heck about the time you're settled in with it they pull it.

Did they pull Grimm?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 06:35:04 am »
Is this show still on the air or have they switched channels?  I have it set to record but we haven't seen it.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 12:34:49 pm »
the do this big break that lasts for months.  wish they didn't...

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 05:35:25 pm »
I started watching the falling skies show on my kindle and thought they jumped the shark a half a dozen shows in and quit it.  It is a long winter--I may have to revisit.  My last favorite was the newest Battlestar Galactica.   

Offline josediaz

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 01:18:45 pm »
show is fine but too much resemblance with walking dead

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 03:05:41 pm »
for some reason, this show snagged me.  part of it is the cast.  there are a number of people on there that i really like.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 03:49:55 pm »
I do like this show, although it has turned into "The Enemy if your Enemy is your friend" kinda show - that rarely turns out to be the case. Last season's cliff-hanger (yawn) leads me to think the war is far from over.

Cast wise, I do like them. Will Patton is always great, I even have his reading an audiobook I'm listening too - I think he needs to stick to movies/TV because he doesn't exactly bring book characters to life. Just as Stephen King reading his own books, he is terrible at it.

Falling Skies though has turned into one of those shows you wait a year and a half between seasons - few shows survive that long a hiatus.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 05:25:22 pm »
When is season 4 coming on?    That is what I am waiting for.   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 02:39:18 pm »
probably the summer.

the brits use the same formula for their series.  their shows can disappear for long periods of time and then come back.  of course, they don't churn out as many as we do, so that might make a difference.  i'd love fewer shows and more quality, but what i consider quality tends to get canceled!   :-D

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 09:27:21 pm »
They're advertising around here that it's coming back on June 22nd.

anything