Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Code enforcement says the girls have to go  (Read 8840 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Code enforcement says the girls have to go
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 11:20:27 pm »
I thought it was misspelled "shyster"
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline ikeepbees

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 11:03:45 am »
Disappointed for you, Dennis. Disappointed that there are people like your neighbor and his son-in-law in this world stealing our oxygen. Disappointed that you have to deal with him. And disappointed that your local code prohibits bees on a small lot even in "a small mountain community" with "a very rural home."

I encourage you to ensure your lot is not large enough before moving the bees. I also encourage you to seek a variance. If you can't get a variance, run for County Commissioner and work on changing the code. And should you end up moving them, I really like the idea of maintaining empty hives at the old location. Wear your bee gear when mowing around them. Put your gear on and go out and smoke them and open the tops occasionally.

Best of luck, and I'd love to hear occasional updates on what happens.
Rob Koss

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 11:23:14 am »
DennisD,
Variances are granted IF no complaints or concerns are found. Many times, variances include posting the variance request for some number of houses around the property requesting it. So this will allow the neighbor(s) in question to speak against the variance as well as seek support from others. And sometimes it does not take much to get people to sign a petition when fear is thrown in. And from my experience, if any objections are brought forth, the variance is denied. The township board is not going to or will want to, assume responsibility or liability for future problems AFTER requesting a variance be granted when open concern is brought forward. Chances are that 99% of such matters will be denied.

Personally, I think I'd be looking for another home. Studies have shown that a good number of molesters have also been molested, and come families with serious problems. Everything from child abuse, to drugs, to cruelty to animals. The son may be locked up, but the family, and the actions of the other family members should put up a red flag. There is no doubt a connection with the son's problems that landed him in jail, and the family as a whole. I would like to say you should move due to being able to keep bees in peace, but feel that other concerns are warrented.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 11:57:00 am »
People who hurt kids in this area are subject to " Good Ol' Boy Justice". Gotta love rural Maryland... I've got a small house he's welcome to come stay at....hehe...with 500000 Bees out back....and..well honey to share....god...I could SO go on and on....

And folks..please keep your political views to a seperate area. I do.
Mark
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 08:28:59 pm »
Just a note on grandfathering:  Keeping a bee hive on your premises whether it contains bees or not, or only some of the time, the claim can legally be made that a bee hive has existed on the premises from when ever the hive was originally placed.  Code enforcers, like everyone eslse, seldom approach a hive close enough to distinguish individual bees.  Also where a hive exists it is assumed that bees reside there, even if the hive is vacant. 
The  wording here is important...."I've had a bee hive in my back yard for years," can be just that, a hive no bees.

If talk starts about enacting ordinances on restricting bee hives in your community, put a hive or 2 on your property whether they contain bees or not.  Your "bee hive" is then grandfathered. 

The empty hive, on occasion, will attract a swarm.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 11:36:51 pm »
 I got an idea for you Dennis...
 Ignore the ordinance.....Wait till a second time, or even a third, until they give you a ticket...if its cheap, pay it...If its jail time...hmmmm..call the newspaper or, better yet, the TV station. Then you can tell them about the plight of the honeybees!..and then,...Tell us to write letters to your mayor or city council..I'll write a letter for you!
 ...Maybe you can even get other nabors to write letters saying that they like the bees.
 Or,....you can make a small shed, put the hives in the shed, and let the bees go in and out the shed so the creepys cant see a hive.
 Then again,.....Maybe the cops wont come back anyways...Maybe they like you and know the nabor is bad.

your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2008, 02:03:02 am »
did you ever get a measurement on your property??

political comments:  the mods crack the whip if we get out of line.  other than that, we comment or ignore.  our choice.  they do a remarkably good job given that some of us are down right ornery at times  :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2008, 05:14:46 am »
  In MA. it will tell you the square feet of the property on the tax bill you pay tax on.

How about your state :?

Can you Contact the National Forrest Service and asks if you can get a  permit for beekeeping in the National Forrest  :?

Hope to hear occasional updates on what happens.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2008, 03:44:17 pm »
DennisD,

That is a bummer.  I am so sorry to hear you have such a grumpy neighbor.  His life must be so painful, that he has to share his pain with everyone else.

How does he know about your bees?  Can he see the hives?

I sure hope you can take some of the good advice our forum family has to offer to you, and that you can keep the bees nearby!

S

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2008, 06:35:05 pm »

political comments:  the mods crack the whip if we get out of line.  other than that, we comment or ignore.  our choice.  they do a remarkably good job given that some of us are down right ornery at times  :evil:
I'm still trying to find out where anyone brought politics into this thread  :?

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2008, 09:02:57 pm »

I'm still trying to find out where anyone brought politics into this thread  :?

Reply #2..... ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2008, 09:27:14 pm »

Reply #2..... ;)
Ah, gotcha, although that was days ago!  :)  Other than agreeing with it I'll be good and not comment further  :evil:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2008, 10:13:55 am »
People who hurt kids in this area are subject to " Good Ol' Boy Justice". Gotta love rural Maryland... I've got a small house he's welcome to come stay at....hehe...with 500000 Bees out back....and..
Mark

I like that, the best comment here so far....wish there was more "rural" justice.....have that wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service