Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2nd removal  (Read 3668 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
2nd removal
« on: May 04, 2005, 08:40:15 pm »
removed another hive from a home today didnt bring a camera but this hive was Huge, couldnt find the queen, there was about 20 combs 10"x24" and some smaller ones, filled 2 deeps with framed comb held in with rubber bands, I couldnt believe the number of bee's, every comb was full and they were on the walls too, got the comb and started bee vac up, when i got home , settle them in and then dumped the vac in the hive, there more bee's in this hive than all 4 of my other hives i started from packages 3-11-05, you know I killed some by accident to but hope the queen wasnt in those. so we will see before long if she is still alive i hope, so this hive has been there since he bought the house 2 years ago and he said the home was empty for 6 years, dont know the age of the hive but the comb was turning dark brown. well thats all I got just thought I would share, oh almost forgot , got to remove one tomorrow #3 :D  

I dont know if I told yall what I did to get 4 removal calls in 3 weeks but I got home from work 1 morning and thought to myself, if I wasnt a beekeeper, who would I call to get a hive removed???? well I would call a pest controll company, but in reallity, 99% dont remove honeybee's and some want mess with bee's at all, so I called all the pest companies in our phone book (took about 30 minutes) and told them if they get a call for removal to give the person my number and I'll remove the hive, done got 5 calls and removed 2 but have 1 tomorrow to remove, seem's to be working bahahahahaha, I tell the home owner that I have construction experience and I'll do the best I can not to do to much damage and make it easier for the contractor to fix but I'm not responsable for repairs. also if I have to do more than I thought, I would talk to the owner before I go any further, I'm charging $150.00 for a removal, but if I can get a nice health hive I would count $100.00 towards the bill for the hive , so I only charge 50 bucks. works for me, pays gas bill and a hamburger  :wink: . I'm not interest in the pay just, the main thing I want is the hive.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
2nd removal
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 10:10:43 pm »
I have been thinking about that going into removals but was wandering if a contract would be in order for liabilities for damage cause as we all know todays society is from the same tribe as lawyers come from...The Sue tribe.
But I was advised "You have to be very careful about removing bees from a habitation.  Legally, only a licensed pest control operator can charge for removing bees from a habitation.  That does not stop a lot of beekeepers because most PCO's do not want to mess with bees.
You should work out all of the liability and permission issues with the homeowner before doing anything.  After all, you are responding to a problem that the homeowner has and you are doing something at his request. "

So do you go by good faith of a handshake or do you use an agreement?

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
2nd removal
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 12:09:21 am »
It depends on the people you are dealing with. Know what I said about the country club?

All the others I have done was just they wanted the bees removed and I wanted the bees and explained what it would take to get them out. No paper drawn up or anything. But these were the down home good old boy types.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
2nd removal
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 12:34:14 am »
Thanks J an agree that is why I was / have been thinking about the paerwork as well cause you do run into the Country Club people LOL

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
2nd removal
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 05:58:29 pm »
well got the 3rd removal done this one was different because I had to remove it from the second floor inside the house, yep and the guy told me that the bee's have only been in his home a week or 2, well I suited him up to and we could feel the heat on the floor (about a foot where the brood nest was) after he pulled the carpet back, cut the flooe between the floor joyces and man this was a full size hive, about the same comb as the second hive I removed but a lot more bee's with this one, had to be close to a 5 gallon bucket full of bee's, you would think we would have had alot of bee's in the house but only about 10 or 12 flying and about 200 sitting there on the side of the hole watching me remove there comb. this was the easiest removal yet, still never found the queen but if she was lost they have plenty of brood and eggs in the hive. 1 question to the old time keepers , some of the comb (capped brood, larva, and eggs) got covered by honey but the bee's have cleaned it up today, I was wondering, if the brood and eggs got cover with honey for about 5 to 12 hours, will it kill them? I have never experianced this before,
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
2nd removal
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 06:38:46 pm »
It can suffocate them if it stays on too long.  I wouldn't worry about it.  They'll clean it up either way.  Sounds like your doing great with the removal action.  If it keeps up, you will have to start evaluating if it's worth your time.  The later in the year it gets, the less viable the colony becomes.  Hard to justify a 3 hour drive for a 2 lbs swarm.  Definitely worth it to get a 7 or 8 lbs swarm.  What a pleasure to recover an easy one that will fill more than 1 hive body.

Oh Wait!!!  You said old timers!!   bahahahahahahahahahah  My dads an old timer... I'm just.. um.... bahahahahahahahahah

Offline latebee

• House Bee
2nd removal
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 10:36:41 pm »
TwT,
        I just removed a colony from a house myself. Everything went fine and I did the job from the inside too. Used the bee vac I built-and had nearly one third of a plastic garbage can FULL of bees. They are now hived in two deeps an d one medium with all of thier own combs rubberbanded into blank frames. One little problem_______ it has been a week since I installed them and they have built 7 swarm cells on the bottoms of the combs(obviously the queen was killed or lost in the process of removal). I am confused because supercedure cells are typically in the upper portion of the frame. These are all new queen cells on the bottom of the bars. I am sure one of you guys or girls have run into this before. What do you think is going on?
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline bobby

• New Bee
2nd removal
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 09:49:25 pm »
i need some info. there is a tree in my neighbors yard full of bees. he wants them gone and i would love to get them , but i cant cut the tree or anything. they are going in and out of a crack in it. what to do?

Offline latebee

• House Bee
2nd removal
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 12:18:20 am »
You can attempt to trap them out. This usually takes about 10 weeks so be sure your nieghbor is willing to have a hive body attached to his tree for that period. Start by making a cone shaped cone out of widow screen(shaped like a funnel)with one end just large enough for a drone to fit through. The other end  can be about 6 inches in diameter with the length at 8 to 10 inches. This is secured to the tree trunk at  the crack. Then ALL other exits in the tree must be sealed(I like duct tape for this-just keep checking it to make sure it does not peel off with time) Then place a hive body as close to the screen exit as you can. The hive itself can be on a platform  or secured to the tree itself. You will need a queen to be put in this hive body along with some attending bees. Every day as the foragers return they cannot reenter the tree cavity due to the cone shaped  screen and hope fully start to accept the hive as thier new home.This takes time and effort-paying close attention so that there are no openings for the foragers to get back in the tree colony. Use drawn comb in hive :)
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
2nd removal
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 10:57:04 am »
And make sure the neighbor understands there will be a lot of confused bees flying around while you trap them.  My experience is this freaks people out and they spray the bees in a panic.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin