Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best time to move hive.  (Read 1544 times)

Offline johnwm73

• House Bee
Best time to move hive.
« on: February 26, 2011, 08:20:38 pm »
I have a hive I am moving to a new location about 20 miles away. What time of day and month should I move it? It was weak going into the winter but so far as of last week it is making it. I have been feeding it syrup and would like to move it.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Best time to move hive.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 09:07:00 pm »
I like to move them right after dark (or when they quit flying) or first thing in the morning, right before daylight.   And for the day, when ever you can get somebody to help you tote them.   :-D

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 09:50:57 pm »
It depends on the yard for me. If I'm moving hives from my home yard (at my house) to an out yard I close them up with screens after dark and move them whenever I want the next day. If I'm moving them from out yard to out yard as is the case with most of my splits I move them just after dark.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 12:22:02 am »
I always move in the morning. It's cooler than in the evening when they sometimes are still hanging outside, active, etc.

That way, by then time I get to the new location, the sun is coming up and I can work in daylight.

Having crap happen, and it will sometimes, it is much easier to deal with in the morning versus late at night.

Plus, I'm a morning person. Love early morning work.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com