Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Super Paint  (Read 5286 times)

Offline chriso38

• New Bee
Super Paint
« on: September 27, 2011, 04:10:13 am »
Hi, I'm a newbie and have just started beekeeping. i live in north QLD and i just thought I'd put it out there to ask " what type of paint do the beek's use for their supers? oil based or water based? i have already painted two boxes with water based solar guard but the paint does not seem to go " rock hard"   any one else have this problem?   cheers  :-D

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
Re: Super Paint
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 04:18:52 am »
Primer, undercoat and two coats of final acrylic based paints. Let the wood ware dry for about six weeks to get the smell out the wood ware. bees are very very sensitive to smells.

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:09:00 am »
I use anything on the mis-tints trolley at Bunnings.  Just make sure it is an exterior paint & preferably a light colour.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 07:02:29 am »
Hello Chriso,

I used solarguard, I live in North Queensland and I'm also 38.  I hope that helps.

By the way, solarguard does have a 10 year guarantee against peeling flaking or blistering.

Lone

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 07:52:15 am »
I use anything on the mis-tints trolley at Bunnings.  Just make sure it is an exterior paint & preferably a light colour.
Me too. I got a $68.00 dollar 4l can of Taubmans endure external paint for 20 bucks.
Got to be happy with that  :-D
Paul.

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:16:58 am »
Hello Chriso,

I used solarguard, I live in North Queensland and I'm also 38.  I hope that helps.

By the way, solarguard does have a 10 year guarantee against peeling flaking or blistering.

Lone

Sounds like a great match there! Sorry Lone im 34 and live in Melbourne...

I use solar guard and just slap on 2 coats..

Ben

Offline Krustybee

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:21:15 am »
Hi there, water based Solagaurd will outlast oil based paint hands down. Solargaurd will take a couple of weeks to fully cure but it will never get as hard as oil based because it is much more flexible. The only problem with solargaurd is that your super will want to 'stick' to the lid or the base board, so I use oil based paint on the top and bottom edge of the supers, lids and base boards. It makes inspections a little easier when things aren't stuck together by paint. I hope this helps.

Brett. :-D

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 09:42:50 am »
I use two coats of solar guard. Paint the whole outside and the edges and joins in the inside but leaving a 'window' of unpainted timber so the timber can breathe. Good idea Krusty bee with using oil based paints on the bits that stick, I've found that to be a problem too.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 07:27:42 pm »
Sorry Lone im 34 and live in Melbourne...

I can't always understand you gen y's, squid.  But I'm booked to go to Melbourne in November. (after americaland)

The only problem with solargaurd is that your super will want to 'stick' to the lid or the base board, so I use oil based paint on the top and bottom edge of the supers, lids and base boards. It makes inspections a little easier when things aren't stuck together by paint. I hope this helps.

That's true Krusty. You do need a good sharp hive tool.  But we also use it as a glue and sealer in the joints when making supers.

Primer, undercoat and two coats of final acrylic based paints

Solarguard doesn't need undercoating and primers.  It is made for lazy people.

Paint the whole outside and the edges and joins in the inside but leaving a 'window' of unpainted timber so the timber can breathe

I painted the inside once and the bees had quite a job cleaning it up and taking the paint out the door.  So now I tend to use a thin wash for some reason I'm not quite sure of.

I use anything on the mis-tints trolley at Bunnings.

I've seen it on special too, and large tins of white.  It's a pity I have expensive tastes though and get them to mix up honey tree and beehive colours.  The avocado green is a bit dark but it was free.

The fellow who gave me my first hives told me to get the cheapest acryllic paint I could find.  After it didn't last and I had to sand and repaint, I then realised why the hives he gave me were devoid of paint.  I don't think it matters too much whether you use oil or water based paints, as long as it's tough enough for harsh north queensland conditions.

Lone

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 10:37:48 pm »
I use marine grade urethane
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 04:48:21 am »
I use marine grade urethane

I'll be going to Staunton VA in november, too.

Lone

Offline lilyfrog

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 02:53:48 am »
I use good ol "Silver Frost",

I was put on to it by a commercial beekeeper,

15 years between coats is a big plus.

cheers
Mark
========================================================
"At the end of the day, you can't eat money, but it sure helps pay the bills."