Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queenless Hive or Egg Reduction  (Read 1767 times)

Offline GTX188

• New Bee
Queenless Hive or Egg Reduction
« on: June 06, 2009, 08:59:48 pm »
I had a swarm on one of my hives last week, and have noticed significant egg/brood reduction. I have heard egg production drops off after a swarm but am wondering if I should be concerned. This hive 2 weeks ago had 4 FULL frames of capped brood. I am wondering if it just takes some time to get things going again? There are no emergency, supercedure or swarm cells to be seen. Any opinions?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Queenless Hive or Egg Reduction
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 09:16:49 pm »
>I have heard egg production drops off after a swarm

Actually it drops off BEFORE the swarm and stops altogether after for at least two weeks.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GTX188

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 01:39:11 pm »
Would you recommend re-queening this hive or just letting things go untouched for a bit.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 02:33:57 pm »
Would you recommend re-queening this hive or just letting things go untouched for a bit.

Your hive should have done a good job rearing a good swarm queen to replace the one that left with the swarm.  I would let nature take its course.  By the time you get a new queen and requeen and that one gets accepted and starts laying, the one you have now would probably already be to that point as well.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 03:20:02 pm »
Trying to requeen will most likely result in a dead queen.  The virgin in there will just kill her.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 10:52:23 pm »
Prior to swarming the queen will cease laying eggs.  After a swarm it is often hard to tell that a hive has swarmed because the population doesn't seem deminished.  The brood hatched out replacing the population that left with the swarm so the real clue that a swarm happened is the sudden brood dearth.  It will correct itself once the new queen has mated and starts laying.

The sudden brood dearth, when a leaving swarm was unobserved, is often mistaken as a queenless hive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything