Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first hive  (Read 1600 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
My first hive
« on: April 29, 2010, 07:19:19 pm »
hello all I just got my very first Nuc and set my hive up the other day. I checked the hive now that it has been a week since setup, and I saw the queen today. My questions are these:

The weather has been bad lately, how long till the first deep super gets all drawn out?
I have a hive top feeder that is full of 1:1 sugar water, how long does it take for a small hive to go through a gallon of this juice?
what are the little cacoon type things in the hive? I am hoping they are not queen cells already?

I am sure I will have many more questions for the experience ppl here.

thanks in advance

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: My first hive
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 12:43:14 am »
>The weather has been bad lately, how long till the first deep super gets all drawn out?

Depending on weather, bees, motivation, flow, feeding, and a myriad of other variables, however long it takes.
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesexpectations.htm

>I have a hive top feeder that is full of 1:1 sugar water, how long does it take for a small hive to go through a gallon of this juice?

Depending on weather, bees, motivation, flow, feeding, and a myriad of other variables, however long it takes.

>what are the little cacoon type things in the hive? I am hoping they are not queen cells already?

"Cacoon type things"?  I don't know what you are refering to so I couldn't say.  If they hang down and look like a peanut, yes.  If they are round on the ends like Kix cereal, no, those are drones.

I am sure I will have many more questions for the experience ppl here.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:27:07 am »
thanks for the reply , so do you thing it is Depending on weather, bees, motivation, flow, feeding, and a myriad of other variables, however long it takes.

LOL

I am hoping they are drone cells that the little cacoon are.......

I started with a 3 frame NUC they are wooden frames, the other frames are pierco frames, will this be difficult for the bees to go from wooden frames to the plastic ones?
thanks
sorry to be a noob about these things, I thought i had researched it pretty heavily, but one must learn by doing.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 11:00:40 am »
Slacker361.  Welcome to our forum, wonderful you found us.  There are many questions you will need to ask.  There are various forums here that address so many things, look around, you will be impressed.  Do have that wonderful day, with wonderful health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything