Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello! New Beek from Arkansas  (Read 2068 times)

Offline livz2hunt

• New Bee
Hello! New Beek from Arkansas
« on: May 25, 2009, 02:37:17 pm »
    I live in central Arkansas and started my first hive in April. It took me a while to figure out what the term "Beek" meant, but now I know, and guess I am officially one. I bought one package of bees from Wilbanks in April. They are going great. They have almost completed their second "deep" and I will be adding a queen exlcuder and a medium super this week.
    My second hive is not so strong. I "beelined" some bees and found them in a rotten old tree that crumbled to pieces when I cut it down. I captured much of the brood and bees, but failed to find the queen. I bought a queen and added it to the hive and they will be o.k.
       My third hive I just started Saturday. A lady called me and said she had a "ball" of bees on a limb in her back yard. I went and captured them and put them in a medium super with some drawn out comb my dad had given me. They are very prolific and have already started carrying in pollen. I would estimate there were 6-7 lbs of bees in that swarm. I feel they were a wild feral colony and am extremely excited about getting them.
      I love this forum and I love my bees. Can't seem to get them off my mind. The wife is getting a bit jealous though, she is feeling a little neglected. Oh well, I'm sure she will get over it. Hee! Hee!

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: Hello! New Beek from Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 02:43:13 pm »
Hello and Welcome livz2hunt 
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Great job on catching a swarm

Johnny 

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 02:56:06 pm »
I don't know why but whenever someone says something like "I love my bees" I can help but know that I relate - ya weirdo.
welcome aboard.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 06:04:53 pm »
Welcome livz2hunt, sounds like you are having a great time with the bees. Good luck with them.
Bobby

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 05:52:17 pm »
I just registered and haven't even filled out my profile and already I find a fellow Arkansan..And Central AR to boot. Small world. :D
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 10:55:14 am »
livz2hunt. Welcome to our forum, wonderful that you found us.  You have already found out how compelling the world of the honeybee is, the more that you are with them, the more you will want to be with them.  And one day, you may be surprised, your Wife may want to share your life with you and the bees, smiling.  Stick around, we love new members and love to hear the stories, tales and experiences of new people to our forum, you will also make new friends.  Have that wonderful day to love and live this great life that we all live, love and share, health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service