Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wonky Comb  (Read 1424 times)

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Wonky Comb
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:13:36 am »
In my vast season and a half of keeping....lol.... I have noticed something.

Give the bees foundationless frames in the brood area and they build consistent, straight, 'perfect' comb.  Give this same hive empty frame in a super and the comb is more often wonky.  Different thickness of comb, every spare cm of space is used for storage or the management of the honey. Sometimes I even wonder if they design it such that it promotes unique air flow within the hives.

My observation was consistent with Carnolians, Italians, and my local mutts.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Wonky Comb
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:54:33 am »
Brood comb is consistent in depth as that is the right size for a larva to develop.  Honey comb has no real constraints.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Sunnyboy2

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 01:21:11 pm »
I have noticed the same thing in my KTBH.  brood ares produces consistent triangular comb of equal thickness, while storage comb varies from 1 to three inches thick on the same comb.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 09:23:52 am »
The differences between 'brood' comb and 'honey' comb is normal.  When running a 'foundationless' system Beeks need to pay a bit more attention (more frequent inspections) to their Honey frames to keep things straight.   Once started (building wonky comb) its hard to correct by the Beek.  Only constant persistance will prevail.  Good Luck.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Evan W

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 02:01:40 pm »
Their is a solution  :-D comb honey!!!!!!!!

anything