Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: planting Buckwheat  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Andrew Dewey

• New Bee
planting Buckwheat
« on: January 01, 2014, 03:52:15 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am trying to get a handle on putting some buckwheat in what is now open field.  For starters, I read that Buckwheat will grow in just about any soil.  Mt soil is acid - wild blueberries thrive not far from where I want to plant.  An other characteristic of the soil is a shallow pad (4") over clay.

How should the soil be prepared?  I do not have a tractor, and while spending $25,000 for one just to seed some Buckwheat is not going to happen - I am not opposed to one day acquiring one - just not soon.  I do have an John Deere Gator UTV - I could find a harrow to pull behind that if harrowing is all I need to do for soil prep.

Lastly, what is the difference between common Buckwheat and Japanese Buckwheat?

My goal in planting is to provide bee forage during our normal late July/early August dearth.  That tends to be a hot (90s) time around here.

Thanks!

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: planting Buckwheat
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 11:04:20 pm »
a harrow is all you need.  it likes poor soil quality and will actually improve the soil.   
i planted about an acre last year and will probably plant a few this year.  can't answer the question about the varieties.

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:53:49 am »
I can tell you buckwheat does not tolerate heat very well and also it will not give up nectar if there is no water.
I do know there is a lot of Japanese bamboo that is in blossom at that time of year in New England.
in my humble opinion for that time of year in
New  England I would be looking into planting BB trees

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 08:00:10 pm »
I think our bee guy, president of our club just tossed the seed out(spread) by hand no till nothing.
palm beach beekeepers.com