Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: sourwood  (Read 1610 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
sourwood
« on: January 13, 2014, 11:34:20 pm »
saw some sourwood honey that was about as dark as burnt motor oil today.  could have been a mistake, could be the bottler doesn't know any better or it could be that they assume the buyer doesn't know any better.  i'm pretty sure it was tulip poplar.  the funny thing is i bought a bottle of the wildflower next to it that was light and has a mild flavor.  unless i extracted some kudzu honey which is so unique that there can be no question what it is all my honey is wildflower even if i know what the predominant nectar source is.  how does everyone else feel about specialty honeys?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: sourwood
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:40:42 pm »
There is 6 times as much sourwood honey sold as there is produced.
NC is trying to pass a law now that the pollen in a sample has to be 51 % to be called any one plant. They are mostly after the fake sourwood sellers, but are including all the varietals in the law.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:43:50 am »
this person also had tupelo honey sitting on the shelf.  geographically, they would have to have some beeyards spread pretty far apart.  i'm not sure what i think about this.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 01:11:10 pm »
If you see tupelo, turn it up side down. If it has some solids starting in the bottom, it is not tupelo.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:33:12 pm »
yeah, messaged the lady and told her i though she may have a few mis-labeled bottles and she explained to me that she knew it was sourwood because she was there when her husband bought it and that you basically can't tell anything about honey by the color..... so, she's shady which is what i figured.  when she had tupelo and sourwood i kind of figured she was just buying and re-bottling honey.

anything