Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Re: Okra  (Read 5802 times)

Offline Nett

• New Bee
Re: Okra
« on: January 26, 2009, 11:05:10 pm »
I just started reading this site today and was going to reply to the okra post until I saw how old it was.
Anyway we plant a heirloom okra called Cowhorn, Steerhorn or Longhorn and it's the best producing we've ever found. Last year we planted Clemson spineless and it didn't produce nearly as well as the Cowhorn. I'm originally from the south and all my children love it so I put enough in the freezer for all of us. I now live in southern Ohio and it grows well here. We're on the edge of zone 5 and 6.

Doak, if you still need some walking onions let me know. I think I have some extra I can send for postage.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 09:54:11 am »
Nett, don't worry about dragging up old threads, it's good to see the older stuff, some haven't read it all!

Okra has lovely flowers, great for bees!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 12:23:10 pm »
Nett, reviving old threads is a wonderful thing, there are many things in the depths of our forum that are great!!!  ell me more of the walking onions, meaning, how do you prepare them, etc.  I grow those too, but have never found a good use for them, or maybe I just haven't let my imagination yet to run wild, they are also known as top-setting onions, or Egyptian onions too.  Think they are all the same cultivar.  Elaborate please.  Have a great and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 03:47:55 pm »
clemson spineless okra was developed in the poor, clay soils of the southeast (Clemson Univ, SC).  in north GA it grows like a weed, doesn't stop until first freeze in Nov.  crazy stuff.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 07:24:00 pm »
Thanks Nett, I have enough to get started up again.

I have always planted Clemson Spineless, does ok here in central Ga.
 :)doak

Offline Nett

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:57:41 pm »
Cindi,
I think the walking onions, top-setting onions, or Egyptian onions are all the same.

You know, I don't really use these onions either but do want to keep them going because I think they are unique and I like to share them with anyone who wants them and sometimes I trade them on GW.

I think they would be great for anyone who uses a lot of green onions but I don't. DH said the oldtimers use to put them in their cellars and they kept for quite awhile. I did use the roots in some sweet pickles one year and they were good in them. When the tops are young and tender they can be used in anything that calls for green onions.
Have a great day,
Nett

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 01:41:57 am »
I use them like green onions but I mostly have them cause they were from my Daughters Great Grandmother in Spokane.  She had them in her garden for 60 years...I like the thought that someday I can give some to Amanda when she has her own home & maybe they will make it to my Great Grandchildren.  I also have an assortment of lilacs from the same yard.  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 01:14:29 pm »
sooo bees like okra flower?
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 06:15:10 pm »
ya.   And Japanese Beetles like them also.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 06:33:28 pm »
Naw, Japanese beetles only eats the kudzo that was brought over to prevent erosion. (Yeah right)

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 11:08:36 pm »
yeah i meet the japanese beetles last year, the loved loved loved my pears and peaches
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 10:04:28 pm »
And roses, and beans, and grapes, and apples, and....and.....and........

anything