Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Timber and plans for bee hives  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
Timber and plans for bee hives
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:08:58 am »
I am thinking of making some home made boxes from timber that I have on hand. Why is it necessary to have the sides 22mm thick? Would 19mm suffice? I would not think bees would care that much. Also, does anyone have some good plans for making bee hives?

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Re: Timber and plans for bee hives
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 12:58:19 am »
Many go with 22mm simply for the extra durability that it provides - 19mm is fine... There are some good plans online - as well as a few links to plans on here - have you done a search? i can't remember any posts/sites off the top of my head - sorry

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 05:42:37 am »
Beesource forum home page has a good list of plans etc in their DIY section, they'll all be in inches though  :?
Paul.

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 05:59:57 am »
Just make sure the internal dimensions are the same to ensure bee space is OK

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 07:04:48 am »
Thanks guys. I'll do a search for some plans. I will use my current hives for dimensions but I'm not that happy with the design.

The landing board is small and bees coming in with a full load often land on the edge and then fall off so have to fly up again and crawl in. I intend on using large tapered landing boards which I think will work much better.

The hives I have also have a large airspace in the lid. Is this really necessary? Why wouldn't a flat piece of timber work?

The other point is ventilation. My hives have no ventilation at all (apart from the entrance which isn't all that big) and I have had problems with mould during winter in small colonies. I'm looking for ideas of how to get around this too.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 07:13:57 am »
My lids which also have that empty space in them have two vents on each end, I'm guessing that the extra space above the frames aids the ventilation.

Offline nella

• House Bee