Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Making your own super boxes  (Read 4693 times)

Offline malachii

• New Bee
    • Bluegum Gold
Making your own super boxes
« on: November 14, 2010, 07:39:42 pm »
What width timber (and type) do people use to make their own supers (in OZ).  I seem to be only able to find 19mm X 240mm pine and all my supers that I have bought are 22mm pine.  Am I looking in the wrong places or do people use something else?

malachii

Offline Burnsy

• New Bee
Re: Making your own super boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 07:54:58 pm »
I have a full woodworking workshop but found that there is no way I could make a super for the price I can buy a flat packed one.  Budget 10 frame 10 inch flatpacks can be as little as $13 each over here in the west from some suppliers.  Considering there is around 2 metres of board in each and it is already machined and finger jointed I reckon it is to good to pass up.  Based on this I will stick with making stands, bottom boards and lids.

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 04:35:23 am »
You can use whatever size timber will suit your other woodware, lids, bottoms and frames. As long as ther are no gaps the bees don't fuss too much about anything as long it keeps out vermin, the elements and helps control the outside environemnt ie summer and winter.

Offline RayF

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 06:33:16 pm »
Where did you get the flat packs so cheap?I made up a couple of boxes from Bunnings timber.(240 X 19) Cost me 18 dollars a box which is dear enough.I bought some pine from Allwood which was a lot cheaper and good quality too.I haven't done anything with that yet as a bloke gave me 6 boxes in good condition he had no use for.All full of frames too :)
BTW I got a heap of Jarrah blossoming around here :)Also some Red Gum and Banksia.
Perth Western Australia

Offline Burnsy

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 08:58:55 pm »
Ray, go vist Guilfoyle's in Midland 9274 5062 2 Wells Street Belview have the $13 budget deep supers in 10 and 8 frame, minimum purchase of 5.  Their knock together frames are really cheap as well.  Great people, well worth a visit.

Had no idea where you were until you mentioned the jarrah :-D

Offline RayF

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 09:39:30 am »
I have bought all my gear there so far. Have not taken notice of thier knock together supers. Your right,they are nice people to deal with. :)
Perth Western Australia

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 10:01:25 am »
Where did you get the flat packs so cheap?I made up a couple of boxes from Bunnings timber.(240 X 19) Cost me 18 dollars a box which is dear enough.I bought some pine from Allwood which was a lot cheaper and good quality too.I haven't done anything with that yet as a bloke gave me 6 boxes in good condition he had no use for.All full of frames too :)
BTW I got a heap of Jarrah blossoming around here :)Also some Red Gum and Banksia.

Where are you located Ray? I couldn't find hopelessly lost on the map :)?

Offline RayF

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 06:23:07 pm »
Dunno about the hopelessly lost.Can't find where to enter my location so I put it in my signature ;)
Perth Western Australia

Offline Romani

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 05:10:48 pm »
Dunno about the hopelessly lost.Can't find where to enter my location so I put it in my signature ;)
I missed it also. Your location info is in your Profile  near gender .

Offline Romani

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 09:35:30 pm »

" Hopelessly lost "  is just down the track from "  Up the creek without a paddle " and not far from the ancestral land of the " Whetherfukarewe tribe"

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 11:37:25 am »

" Hopelessly lost "  is just down the track from "  Up the creek without a paddle " and not far from the ancestral land of the " Whetherfukarewe tribe"

Hey, Ive been there before! Nice people they are. Friggin hilarious