Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: getting cable broadband  (Read 4340 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
getting cable broadband
« on: August 12, 2006, 07:25:49 am »
We may be getting cable broadband. Would you recommend getting a cable modem wiyh wireless networking built  in or just use the cable companies modem and buy a seperate wireless router to share the internet  connection with other computers in the house?

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
getting cable broadband
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 11:20:27 pm »
I have had both.  Either way works just fine.  At least together, you only have one item to plug into the wall.

Consider DSL, basic packages are cheaper.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
getting cable broadband
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 07:43:17 am »
amymcg,
What type of router do you use?
My main reason for going to cable broadband instead of dsl is because we are connected to a private phone company with equipment that is a bit on the outdated side. Recently, when dialing in on dialup we get connection speeds of 32, 37, 38,  42. etc. but the computer cannot communicate with the  service provider  because of noise on the line. It gets worse when it's hot because of what I am told is ac interference. The phone co. says our system was built for phone service who knows only how long ago. They are supposed to be upgrading to dsl capability but I can't  get an answer on when or what quality because we asre in a rural area and the interconnects are not in place at this time. It also sounds like all of the wiring is not being replaced ,only the trunk lines. If they manage to get a quality dsl I may switch back but in reality if internet telephone works well I may switch to that as it is comparably priced to what I pay now with the exception that long distance would be a better bargain through the internet phone.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
getting cable broadband
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 10:19:16 pm »
Hi Buzzbee,

Sounds like Cable is your only real option.  

I currently have a netgear router  and have had no problems in three years with it.  In the past I have also had Linksys routers with few problems. They have gotten better over the years.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
getting cable broadband
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 11:03:40 pm »
We placed our order for the cable internet tioday They plan to install 8/26.
I have been eyeing the linksys. When i  get the cable iI may possibly use my mac on the internet also.   My first computer was a powermac 6100/66. Fast computer by 1995 standards.I now occasionaly use my G3.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
getting cable broadband
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 08:23:42 am »
i also live in a very rural area but the local phone company laid fiber optics all over the county and have become much more sophisticated and professional over the last couple of years. so our DSL is fairly reliable. we have no cable tv here but our phone company provides DSL tv.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
getting cable broadband
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 06:55:28 pm »
Randydrivesabus,
Thats quite a different twist. I don't think I've ever heard of DSL tv.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
getting cable broadband
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 01:13:25 pm »
well theres a computer that functions as a tv tuner thats hooked to my dsl modem....
http://www.cavtel.com/broadbandtv/DSL_tv.shtml

theres an example of it. the tv thing works pretty good but every time you use the remote to change a channel or a function the signal has to go all the way back to the server at the phone company office and then all the way back and it takes a couple of seconds to execute.

i think some of the big phone companies (verizon is one) are going to start trying to sell this big time which may turn out to be bad news for cable and satellite companies.

it has turned out to be cheaper then direct tv.