Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where should I place a swarm trap for trap out?  (Read 3031 times)

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Where should I place a swarm trap for trap out?
« on: June 30, 2009, 12:42:16 am »
I friend of mine has a colony of bees inside of his concrete block basement wall.  Today I set up for a trap out by setting an empty hive, and making a new hole in the blocks for the bees to exit through - the one they are using now is behind the electric meter base, and would be hard to use.  After I knocked the 1 1/2" hole in the block core a few bees came out so I know it is accessible for them.  Over the next few days I will plug up the old hole so they will use the new one, then I will put a frame of brood in the hive, and install the trap out cone.  I read Robo's how to, as well as some other trap out stories on here - very helpful.

I know that catching the queen is a low probability thing, but I don't see any reason not to at least try - The colony is about 3 years old so I figure it must be doing something right. 

There is a wooded area that starts about 50 yards away, and I can hang a swarm trap either at the edge of the woods or inside the woods.  I gather that it should be at least 100 yards away and about 10 feet off the ground. 

My question: Would farther be better?  Is it better to be in a tree that is in the open or actually inside the woods? 

Any other placement tips? 

I figure that I should set the swarm trap in less than 2 weeks from starting the trap out.  I'm thinking I'll use a slightly used hive body (by swapping one out of my only hive) with empty frames and starter strips with a cork hole near the bottom and plywood on top and bottom (with lemon grass oil) as a trap.  I don't have any drawn comb.

With a little luck this might make my dream of having more than one hive before winter come true - without setting back my package (not much anyway) that is showing signs of promise.

The luck is going to be picking a frame with eggs - so far I can't see them, I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet - take off my veil, and wear my reading glasses.

What do you think?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Where should I place a swarm trap for trap out?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:24:35 am »
You only have one hive and they are a package started this year, and you are going to try a trap out. I hope they are busting the hive apart making comb and brood. You might need two or three frames of brood over the trap out period and I dought a package could handle that.

The swam trap is a good idea but the few bees and queen that would come from a trap out would be hard pressed to make it through the winter, just my opion.

Iddee will chime in here and tell you all about it.

I don't mean to sound like Mr. Negative here, but just my thinking.

Good luck and keep us informed.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 02:10:09 am »
You only have one hive and they are a package started this year, and you are going to try a trap out. I hope they are busting the hive apart making comb and brood. You might need two or three frames of brood over the trap out period and I dought a package could handle that.

The swam trap is a good idea but the few bees and queen that would come from a trap out would be hard pressed to make it through the winter, just my opion.

Iddee will chime in here and tell you all about it.

I don't mean to sound like Mr. Negative here, but just my thinking.

Good luck and keep us informed.

G3

My hive is working on it's 3rd medium box, and almost every frame has some brood - 2/3s or more are what I would call frames of brood (most have a bit of honey at the top or ends)  The population recently expanded very noticeably and our weather has been very good so far - plenty of rain, but not too much.  I know that isn't a very big hive yet, but it's hard to imagine that borrowing a frame or two from them would hurt all that much.  Maybe though.  I could always combine the hives after the trap out if it seemed like it was called for.  Maybe it will just be a few bees, but from what I've seen on here it could also be quite a lot. 

So, you wouldn't even give it a try?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 08:54:38 am »
go for it, like you say, you can always combine them back.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 09:18:23 am »
First off,  Iddee was kind enough to put together the trap-out how-to.  I just created the post that link all the sections together.  So all credit should go to iddee.

As far as the swarm trap, the farther the better.  And obviously, they farther away you go the circumference of the area increases, so additional traps may improve you chances.  When the queen decides enough is enough and absconds, it is because of the dearth you artificially credit with you funnel.  The queen does not know it is the trap and instincts tells her it is the area, so she most likely will travel a greater distance to try and find a more prosperous area.

Keep us posted and show us some pictures.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 10:05:06 am »
First off,  Iddee was kind enough to put together the trap-out how-to.  I just created the post that link all the sections together.  So all credit should go to iddee.

As far as the swarm trap, the farther the better.  And obviously, they farther away you go the circumference of the area increases, so additional traps may improve you chances.  When the queen decides enough is enough and absconds, it is because of the dearth you artificially credit with you funnel.  The queen does not know it is the trap and instincts tells her it is the area, so she most likely will travel a greater distance to try and find a more prosperous area.

Keep us posted and show us some pictures.

Of course - Thanks to Iddee and everyone who's contributed - If it weren't for the Internet and forums like this, and the helpful, knowledgeable people out there -  I can't imagine where you would get information on things like trap-outs.  I guess it would take years to learn anything.

If I go farther than 100 yards the trap will probably have to actually be inside the woods - is that good?  Bad?  What you say about the area getting a bad rep makes all kinds of sense though.  I know that catching the absconding swarm is low probability.  I should probably use a low investment box that I can leave for a long time instead of a hive body full of frames.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 10:13:21 am »
I should probably use a low investment box that I can leave for a long time instead of a hive body full of frames.

Good idea,  that way you can also put more out there.   I make my 5 frame swarm traps out of 3/8" plywood for about $2-3 each

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,21633.msg165191.html#msg165191
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything