Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: refractometer  (Read 4152 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
refractometer
« on: October 23, 2012, 06:19:35 pm »
I bought the 75.00 refract. from Dadant.    In the plastic box that it comes in it had a small lense like thing wrapped in paper.   In the directions it is not mentioned.  Does anyone own one of these and did they get one of these lenses to or was it just something that accidently got drop in the package

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: refractometer
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 08:54:05 pm »
You might could call Dadant. 

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 09:08:00 pm »
Sure is a big price difference between the plastic and metal version. Maybe they know that the cheaper one will need a new plastic thingy shortly after purchase.  :-D
I'm in the market for one also. Let me know after you drop it a couple of times.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:08:43 am »
Sure is a big price difference between the plastic and metal version. Maybe they know that the cheaper one will need a new plastic thingy shortly after purchase.  :-D
I'm in the market for one also. Let me know after you drop it a couple of times.
I was expecting all plastic but it's not.  Its heavy mostly metal.   I dont plan on the drop test. They are all lab instruments and not made for ruff housing but if I do I can afford to buy another.   I have to figure out how to use this for brewing.   

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:22:04 am »
My buddy has one for wine making and said that it won't work for honey testing. Can't remember why.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 10:08:24 am »
My buddy has one for wine making and said that it won't work for honey testing. Can't remember why.
They make them for testing different stuff.  I have one that tests battery acid and antifreeze for instant but this one has 3 scales temp, moisture and brix.  I think I can use the brix scale.   I have to make beer this weekend for a Jan american brown competition so will mess around with it then

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 01:41:00 pm »
Danno, so what did you find out about the extra plastic piece? I'm planning on buying that same one. Seems it is the only one they carry at our local Dadants.
Have you used it on the beer making?

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 09:55:09 am »
i didn't find out anything.   the dadant guys really dont know much.   it will be interesting to see if you get one when you buy it.   

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 10:28:29 am »
I will try to get over there next week sometime. Made another 100lb. of candy bricks for the bee's yesterday. Plan to put them in at thanksgiving this year. The leftovers make great syrup in the spring time. Just add water and mix up a little after they melt. Will be working on some capping wax later this month. I'm going through bee withdrawals already.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 09:56:56 am »
A video on honey refractometer use and calibration.
Honey Refractometer Basic Use
They do give a brix reading which is a measurement of sugar content. This is convertible to what a reading is on the hydrometer in beer brewing.
http://www.fermsoft.com/gravbrix.php

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 10:16:23 am »
Thanks Buzz, that helps.

anything