Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: AŽ Hive  (Read 9252 times)

Offline gregluxus

• Brood
AŽ Hive
« on: October 23, 2012, 03:57:00 pm »
OK    may be its just me but i cant find any plans for AŽ Hive,   i'm asking Slovaks and Slovenians to do this for every beekeeper in the world because there's a lot of  people that would love to build couple of hives
please make detailed pictures with measurements and step by step progress,     i thing that should do it for know :)   i hope i'm not asking for to much?  :evil: :laugh: :-D    

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: AŽ Hive
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 04:24:24 pm »
Looks like the old plan page for it has all bad links now.   

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 04:20:16 pm »
check ebay and look for az bee hive,they are for sale,kinda high though.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 04:52:44 pm »
OK, I still haven’t a clue what a AZ hive is or why anybody would want one?  Can somebody describe how this is different than a Langstroth design and why you would want to use it?  No offense to beesource, but the link I keep seeing to them regarding AZ hives doesn’t make much sense either.  Anybody have a simple concise description for somebody with a just a simple mind?

Offline Maryland Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • Nature does nothing uselessly. Aristotle
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 05:05:56 pm »

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 09:07:18 pm »
There have been several people looking for a decent set of plans before. The plans on the old page were not that great.

• House Bee

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 02:40:44 am »
I checked out your links:

First thought:  Thanks goodness humanity has at least settled on using common numbers to count!  I assume dimensions are in millimeters. 

Second thought:  OK, so am I correct in assuming the attraction to this design is the potential for removing brood combs (from the side) without having to lift off the supers first?  I could have sworn I’ve seen this idea before in some old google bee book (circa 1900); I’ll have to see if I can find it. 

Third thought:  It seems to me burr comb between frames is going to be huge problem in this design because the mechanical force you exert to try to pull the frame out sideways is going to have to exceed the shear force of all the burr comb at the same time.

Forth thought:  Looks like the frames are about 260mm x 410mm in size.  That’s about 10”deep x 16” wide.  Just about the size of a lang deep.  Where do your 36” super deep frames fit into this picture?

Thanks for the links. X:X  Just because I complain about problems doesn’t mean I don’t like experimenting.   

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:40:29 am »
 They have probably been doing it this way since long before 1900. From what I've seen, Burr doesn't seem to be a problem and shouldn't if the spacing is correct. My version will be substantially larger, no super for now, thinking if the top hinged back as well frames could be tipped out, maybe put frames on drawer guides to slide out, maybe hinge frames themselves to be opened like book, think Huber did this ? Possibilities are endless as is my imagination. An AZ/Perone hybrid. Like America, I take the best from any and everywhere and make it my own :) I think these Slovenians have come up with a pretty impressive system, not well known probably because Slovenia isn't. Thankx for the internet.
Cheers,
Drew

Offline ch.cool

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 02:10:05 pm »
Hi,
they used in the German speaking area the same style of hive. But the common opinion is, that this style of hive has more disadvantages than a lang style hive and the most beeks changed over to lang style hives or some modified theirs . Main points are: just one box brood and one for honey and all the resulting problems coming along with this.

http://www.luzernerimker-vli.ch/assets/Dokumente/HINTERBEHANDLER-oder-MAGAZIN-klein.pdf

ch.cool

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 02:36:42 pm »
Ch,

Thank you for that link. Gave me all kinds of good ideas ! I love those ones with the big steeples, and the ones with all the cool entrances. Yes I will have to make some adaptations, but I think the general idea is a good one.

Cheers,
Drew

p.s. You wouldn't happen to know anything about those little mini-smokers that are hung around neck ? I have seen the skep beeks use them.

Offline ch.cool

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 02:56:48 pm »
Hi,

Imkerpfeife :http://www.bienenzuchtbedarf-geller.de/shop/index.php?cat=c61_Imkerpfeifen.html

my parents come over Christmas Dez. 12. to the US, if you want one and save the international shipping send me a PM.

ch.cool

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 03:58:55 pm »
That is it ! very cool, cool  :) and thank you for your kind offer, but I'm going to print that out for Santa and let the reindeer bring it over   ;)
Cheers,
Drew

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 03:06:11 am »
I hope Santa also brings you a nice digital camera so we can all see lots of photos of your new super hive!  X:X 

I’ve never heard of anybody making frames bigger than double deeps; that should be REAL interesting. :)

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 10:50:55 am »
I've got one, just getting pics 2 computer then to internet is still confusing for me. I get help from nephew. I'm better w/ B's than computers.  :)
Cheers,
Drew

Offline saperica

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 03:44:28 pm »
http://www.cebelarstvo-grom.com/

on this link you will find a lot of information about A(lberti)Ž(nidaršić) hive

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 04:47:39 pm »
Thankx for that link, and the name, I had wondered what the AZ stood for.
Cheers,
Drew

Offline saperica

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 12:59:37 pm »
here in Croatia AŽ hives are used to make a Apiary that is like a litle house or to integrated whit trailor and use for nomadic beekeeping.
some pictures are here:
http://www.njuskalo.hr/sve-ostalo/prodajem-az-kosnice-nukleuse-pcelarsku-prikolicu-oglas-2890004

http://www.zelenaburza.com/oglasi_det.asp?IDOglas=9839

http://www.pcela.hr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=4569

our female college beekeeper are invalid in chair and succesfully work whit them.
one of best things is that bees owerwinter wery well in this typ of hive.