Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: stethoscope to locate cluster position?  (Read 2503 times)

Offline gjd

• New Bee
stethoscope to locate cluster position?
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:47:53 am »
I've got temperature sensors on the tops of my hives, and am trying to understand some differences in readings between hives.   Those of you who have used stethoscopes: will it allow me to get a rough idea (like within 6"/15cm) of where the bees are clustered in a winter hive, or is there not much ability to localize the sound?   Thanks, Greg

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: stethoscope to locate cluster position?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 11:17:39 am »
You can buy IR guns very cheaply at DHGATE.com  I think they work better than a stethescope but Mr. Brownings machinery was hard on my ears. 

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: stethoscope to locate cluster position?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:39:55 pm »
I used a stethoscope for years to locate clusters.  Worked very well even in temps way below zero, which was when I tended to check.  Pretty cool to hear the bees humming in the 'dead' of winter and while the trees are 'cracking' due to extreme cold. 

This year (first time) I placed 'rigid foam insulation shells' around all of my hives, so the stethoscope will (likely ?) go back into the medical drawer. 

I did pick up an IR Gun for under $20.00 a few years back but again, I'm not sure it'll give me the kind of reading needed w/ the foam shells so we shall see. 

Ahhhhh, the bee-waiting game  8-)
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."