Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: extractor recommends  (Read 3148 times)

Offline filmmlif

• House Bee
extractor recommends
« on: May 02, 2006, 01:29:12 am »
i have 6 hives and i will have my first crop of honey this year. i want to buy an extractor and would appreciate recommendations on the one to get....not only what kind and/or size but who to buy it from.
thanx all. tom

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
extractor recommends
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 09:22:50 am »
For six hives the right extractor is a cheap used one.  Whatever size you find.  You really don't need one. I had about that number of hives for 26 years without one and just did crush and strain.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm

If you really want to buy one, I'd buy the 9/18 motoraized from Mann Lake.  It's not that much more than a 9 frame radial and you can put two supers at a time in.  It' small enough to fit through your kitchen door and large enough to do some good.  An extractor half as big won't be half as much.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
extractor recommends
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 10:34:23 am »
I would also vote on the 9-18 frames extractor from Mann Lake, I have seen one and they are nice...

I have a 12 frame kelly extractor, the motorized extractors is the way to go, so easy.....

this is a picture just like mine....it can hold 12 deep and 9 shollow frames at one time or 21 mediums frames at one time... extracting is fast

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
extractor recommends
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 01:55:06 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Honey-Extractor-Kelleys-12-Frame-Radial_W0QQitemZ7614035688QQcategoryZ46527QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

darn you know your picture looks a lot like the one being auctioned off on ebay.

Coincedence?

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
extractor recommends
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 06:50:46 am »
Quote from: TwT
I would also vote on the 9-18 frames extractor from Mann Lake, I have seen one and they are nice...

I have a 12 frame kelly extractor, the motorized extractors is the way to go, so easy.....

this is a picture just like mine....it can hold 12 deep and 9 shallow frames at one time or 21 mediums frames at one time... extracting is fast

no no no, thats were I got the pic understudy, I said it a pic like mine and I put the quote in bold print so you wouldn't miss it this time, Mine is just like it, I have never took a pic of mine yet, that extractor is the first one like mine for sale since I have been watching,  I have mine bolted to 12x12's and its a little hard to move to take a pic, but that one says $400 in which the one I got cost $900 back in 1996 new. I see now I'm going to have to drag it out and post a pic to show I am not a story teller.... :wink:  :lol:
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Re: extractor recommends
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 07:28:59 am »
Quote from: filmmlif
i have 6 hives and i will have my first crop of honey this year. i want to buy an extractor and would appreciate recommendations on the one to get....not only what kind and/or size but who to buy it from.
thanx all. tom

I purchased the " Italian " made extractor offered by most bee supply firms at 319.00 plus shipping of around 35.00. I have seen it for sale in one of the supply catalogue at 259.00 but too late :cry:

The extractor is 4 medium or 2 deep frames capable. It is unpowered except with whatever I can provide. There is a motor that can be purchased seperately is one decides to power up.

The part I like the best is that this extractor sits on a 100 honey pounds holding tank with a fine filter in between.

Inasmuch as America is soft in the belly, hand cranking an extractor is good exercize.  Actually extracting the few supers that six hives will produce is not a big deal IMO.

Then YOU can also be really primitive, regress back to TBH and and hand squeezing the honey outta the comb a-la-Micheal Bush.

Perhaps one day when Americans run outta money paying for the ever increasing cost of energy there will be the realization that one CAN do a little muscle work and find satisfaction in self reliance.

Just a thought.

OIL is trading, this morning, on the commodities exchange, at 75.00 bucks per BARREL.  THAT is not " just a thought ".

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
extractor recommends
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 07:39:12 am »
I have the same Italian extractor. I bought it used from a local keeper. It was used once. He was selling it for a friend, so I'm not sure what the story was with that. Maybe he bought a bigger one.

Anyway, it is nice because of the holding tank.