Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NORMAL?  (Read 2374 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
NORMAL?
« on: May 21, 2006, 05:21:30 pm »
Inspected hive and found queen. I removed some bur comb, and later in the day I looked over-it. I saw a few larvae in the burr, in a white jello-like substance. Normal?
Got pics of queen too.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
NORMAL?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 08:46:28 pm »
Yes, normal.  Probably drones.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline latebee

• House Bee
NORMAL?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 04:55:26 pm »
I was wondering where the burr comb was located? There are a few possibilities here.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
NORMAL?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 05:16:34 pm »
on top of the frames of the 2nd deep . No caps on them. Looked to be young larvae, about the size of half a maggot. Just added 2nd deep ten days ago and things are/appear to be going along smoothly. I smelled the brood, no odor. I couldn't see them move either. They had been out of hive about three hrs at that point. Thanx in advnce

One other question. Two of my boards appear to older comb, and the frame is totally full. It also has honey/nectar dripping out of a few cell in lower deep. Is this normal?

MB- AS ALWAYS THANX FOR YOUR NO NONSENSE OPINIONS. THEY ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline latebee

• House Bee
NORMAL?
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 05:24:17 pm »
I think MB hit the nail on the head about the burr comb-as for the cells dripping nectar I would accept this as a normal thing-fresh nectar will drip out when a frame is handled, until its cured and capped.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
NORMAL?
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 05:32:58 pm »
Bees typically build burr comb between boxes. Weather it is between brood boxes, between the top brood box and the honey supers, or even between honey super boxes. Where the comb is will determin what is in it. If it is between brood boxes, this is where they like to put drone comb. On the bottom and in the corners. So here you will find drone larvae, honey, and maybe even some pollen when you cut this comb away. Up in the honey supers, the burr comb will mostly be honey (unless you run an unlimited brood nest like I do in which case the queen occasionally gets up there and lays some brood. I use all mediums so when this happens, I simply either leave it alone, or switch it down into the main brood nest for a frame of honey.). The milky substance by the way is royal jelly. :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

anything