Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: HOW DID YOU CHOOSE YOUR MEMBER NAME?  (Read 303989 times)

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: HOW DID YOU CHOOSE YOUR MEMBER NAME?
« Reply #220 on: May 27, 2008, 02:46:24 pm »
Must be a pretty old pigeon what's that a ninty year old bird? ;)

Offline ericthebee

• New Bee
« Reply #221 on: May 30, 2008, 03:01:55 am »
If it's not obvious "Eric the half a bee" is a' monty python 'skit from the 70's (Dateing me a bit here) all my bees are called eric, except Ian and Bruce. My cat's name is eric, except neville what is actually a dog. At 50 the answer to life is 42 and 'Monty python's film 'the holy Grail' was the theme for our joint 50'th. and sums up the seriousness bent that life has taken at this grand age.   
oi

Offline Sid at Rebecca Creek

• New Bee
« Reply #222 on: May 31, 2008, 10:17:13 pm »
Name is Sid, and I live on Rebecca Creek Ranch thus Sid at Rebecca Creek

Offline cherami

• New Bee
« Reply #223 on: June 01, 2008, 01:15:18 pm »
Must be a pretty old pigeon what's that a ninty year old bird? ;)

On October 3, 1918, Charles Whittlesey and more than 500 men were trapped in a small depression on the side of the hill behind enemy lines without food and ammunition. They were also beginning to receive friendly fire from allied troops who did not know their location. Surrounded by the Germans, many were killed and wounded in the first day and by the second day, only a little more than 200 men were still alive. Whittlesey dispatched messages by pigeon. The pigeon carrying the first message ("Many wounded. We cannot evacuate.") was shot down. A second bird was sent with the message, "Men are suffering. Can support be sent?" That pigeon also was shot down. Only one homing pigeon was left: 'Cher Ami'. He was dispatched with a note in a canister on his left leg,

We are along the road parallel to 276.4. Our own artillery is dropping a barrage directly on us. For heaven's sake, stop it!

As Cher Ami tried to fly back home, the Germans saw him rising out of the brush and opened fire and for several minutes, bullets zipped through the air all around him. The men of the Lost Battalion saw Cher Ami shot down, but he was soon airborne again. He managed to arrive back at his loft at division headquarters 25 miles to the rear in just 25 minutes, helping to save the lives of the 194 survivors. In this last mission, Cher Ami had delivered the message despite having been shot through the breast, blinded in one eye, covered in blood, and with a leg hanging only by a tendon.

Cher Ami had become the hero of the 77th Infantry Division, so army medics worked long and hard to save his life. They were unable to save his leg, so they carved a small wooden one for him. When he recovered enough to travel, the little one-legged hero was put on a boat to the United States, with General John J. Pershing personally seeing Cher Ami off as he departed France.

[edit] Awards

Upon return to America, Cher Ami became the mascot of the Department of Service. The pigeon was awarded the Croix de Guerre Medal with a palm Oak Leaf Cluster for his heroic service in delivering 12 important messages in Verdun. He died at Fort Monmouth, New Jersey, on June 13, 1919 from the wounds he received in battle and was later inducted into the Racing Pigeon Hall of Fame in 1931. He also received a gold medal from the Organized Bodies of American Racing Pigeon Fanciers in recognition of his extraordinary service during World War I.

Offline JoelinGA

• House Bee
« Reply #224 on: June 01, 2008, 08:32:07 pm »
I was so tempted to use my old gamer handle that I've used since the release of EQ (EverQuest). Even on non related gaming boards, just for the simple use of not having to remember many names. Then I realized that I haven't even played that game in a long time or have had to use the handle so I just went with the easy least creative thing heh.

Offline striperon

• Brood
« Reply #225 on: June 01, 2008, 10:00:26 pm »
Stripers are my primary target fish.  I am Ron.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #226 on: June 01, 2008, 10:47:22 pm »
Hey Ron!
 Welcome to the forums!
 You and I can probably carry on a conversation!
 I fish White Bass here at lake Arrowhead. I caught the last Striper there was in Lake Arrowhead in '95. He turned out to be the lake record!.There hadnt been a Striper caught in Arrowhead since about '85, and there hasnt been one caught since mine. Its sad though as the Stripers were stocked here but the local bass guys raised cane and ended the stockings. Mine was estimated to be 12 years old. Also, even the big ones from lake Texoma and Possum Kingdom are only about 5 to 8 lbs nowadays. If you get one over 10 youre extremely lucky. Theres something here called "Golden Algae" which kills of Stripers and Whites. You can still catch 40 pounders down on the border at lake Amistad though but thats a 10 hour drive.
yep,....Bees and fishin'...Fishin' and bees!. Clik on my blog at the bottom of my post and theres some of my fishing pics and other goofy stuff :-D
 At any rate,...Welcome to the forums! This is a great place to talk bees!(and all kinds of other cool stuff!) You'll have  all the navigation here figured out in no time!
By the way, are you new to bees or just new to this place?
your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #227 on: June 02, 2008, 10:50:17 am »
John, oh that story made me cry......such beauty....such sadness and happiness....beautiful and most wonderful day, love our life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #228 on: June 02, 2008, 08:08:04 pm »
Cindi,.....
have you been into the valiums again? 8-)

heh heh....
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #229 on: June 03, 2008, 07:00:04 am »
Cindi,.....
have you been into the valiums again? 8-)

heh heh....
your friend,
john

She just digs and digs and digs... ;)         

If that don't work she's got her own hog now.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #230 on: June 03, 2008, 10:33:09 am »
John and JP,  :shock: ;) :) :) :)  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #231 on: June 03, 2008, 04:02:41 pm »
Long, long ago in an Internet far, far away, my job included seeking out interesting Internet applications, including virtual communities.

My very first foray into a real-time multi-user 'place' -- for which I had to choose a nickname -- seemed very real and somewhat eerie. I wanted my nick to be simple, neutral in perception of personality and gender, thus 'eri' instead of eerie :-) I've used it as much as possible (which now is almost impossible). Kinda neat to have it back again on the forums here.

-- eri (aka Jane)
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #232 on: June 04, 2008, 09:18:36 am »
Jane, hey, nice, for a moment I thought you were going to tell a fair tale, of a long, long time ago, hee, hee.  Have that most beautiful and awesomely wonderful day, lovin', livin', this great life of ours.  Cindi

Offline K-R-Farms

• New Bee
« Reply #233 on: June 09, 2008, 01:14:03 pm »
My brother-in-law has about 100 acres of field and woods.
He stares at it asking me "What should we do?"
Well, ok....
Last year we built some chicken coops.  We now have close to 100 laying hens.
Then we built a good size lean-to.  We now have 3 black angus cows.
An 880 sq ft vegetable garden.

So, this year, we decided to do something different.

A few of our kids came home from school all "a-buzz" with concern and interest in the honey-bee.
So from Jan to April, we spent time researching and developing an "Apiary" segment to K-R "Farms".
We now have two hives, 0 stings, and kids drooling over the thought of honey comb.
---
Just as a side note, we both have regular 9-5 jobs, children ranging from 4-17, and wives that are unbelievably patient.
The latter being of most importance.
Proverbs 3:3
Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #234 on: June 12, 2008, 10:32:29 am »
K-R-Farms, wow, how cool is that!!!  YOu are indeed working the land, and working yourselves too, that is a lot of work doing the full time job thing and running a farm, my hat off to you!!!  Have that most beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #235 on: June 15, 2008, 01:11:03 am »
What can I say, I just love Homer Simpson!  Simple as that!

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #236 on: June 15, 2008, 08:53:11 pm »
Homer, just say, "D'Oh." I say welcome ;)
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #237 on: June 17, 2008, 07:34:33 am »
I was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina and the gauchos (cowboys) are from Argenitna's Pampas.  I have been using "GAUCHO" since I first signed up on the interned waaaaaaaaay back then, when the internet was just begining to be created.  One day, while changing internet providers, I attempted to go back to my original on-screen name but someone else already took it.  So ever since then I had to go with "GAUCHO10"....for-ever-and-ever.
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #238 on: June 19, 2008, 10:30:58 am »
I used Irwin because it was my great great granddad's name.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Ensata

• Brood
« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2008, 07:12:28 pm »
Ensata??

I find it interesting that I have never at anytime had a problem with someone else using the name Ensata ...  it is always available.

Even on the multi-million on-line virtual reality community "Second Life" I am the only Ensata.

Is it a masculine or feminine name?

I won't tell.

Ensata though, as many avid flower gardeners would know is the name for the Japanese Iris ... a beautiful cousin to the bearded iris,  but grown in wetter and more acidic soils.   

Ensata, as a flower name, is of course nice for a bee forum...  although I have no idea if its nectar or pollen benefits the bees at all.

anything