Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: heh heh...Update on mowing near bees!  (Read 3423 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
heh heh...Update on mowing near bees!
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:10:36 pm »
Ok,...I cant find the old post on my advice on how I mow around my bees. Anyways, I said i mowed around my beehives and pull weeds with my hands...I have no problems with my bees getting after me :roll:
 Anyways, as of today.......I was mowing with my big mower awhile ago...around my hives, just having a grand 'ol time.....And, as I came around my "Beaver Dam"(Inside joke from previous post) Its really a wind block.....I saw a ton of bees flying around, and i said to myself,"What great timing!..I can catch this swarm!".....It wasnt 10 seconds until i realized that this was NO SWARM!!!...THEY WERE COMING AFTER ME!!!!...(Giggling out loud now.... :))...I had my mower set really low, but I didnt really care....I just knew i had to drive like heck to get out of there!!..And I had to get around some trees!!!...I was out of control now!!!I had that mower running full blast!!!.In and out of trees!!!...Then, I was shooting across the yard trying to get away but I had to turn all over the place, zigzagging everywhere!(This is a ZTR mower)....I finally had to jump ship and run in the house, cussin' and flailin' and yellin'!!!..The bees still a chasin' me!!!...
I got stung about 10 times before it was all over...The bees hung around my mower for about 20 minutes before i could finish mowing.
The funny part now.....I looked back at the yard where I was gonna start back mowing again.......There, all over the biggest grassy part of my yard were zigzag trails 3 inches deeper than the rest of my yard, and it wont get grown even for about 2 weeks now unless it rains!!
 I guess it was my bees day to teach me a lesson.
 I'm gonna have to get a faster mower!

your friend,
john

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: heh heh...Update on mowing near bees!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 12:02:24 am »
Bahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-D , sitting here reading this I could picture it because I had my mower going wide open a couple of times headed towards the house with a Calvary in chase, I didn't get stung but got headbutted about 50 times, some days they don't pay me any attention and been a couple where they started after me before I could get to the hives, bunch of ole moody women!!!!!!  :-P now I put my jacket on when mowing close to the hives.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 12:16:56 am »
I've never got stung directly due to mowing by my hives, but I don't hang around either.  I'm in high gear when I drive by.  I did run over one of their watering holes once and got nailed on the back of the neck.  2 years later I still have a little lump where I got hit.

That's a pretty funny story.  I'm glad it didn't turn out worse.  Thanks for sharing.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 02:29:35 am »
   This was a couple months ago when I posted. and the swelling had just started.  I'm a slow mower. :'(

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm237/4kids4christmas/P1030549.jpg

After the swelling had reached its peak I was at the BX on base in the  electronics department when a child kept insistantly calling his mom.  When I was about to suggest she might want to see what was so important I heard an exasperated "What?!"  Where he , in an accusing voice, proclaimed that, "You said the boogie man was not real!" 

Turning to the voice I saw a small finger pointing at me and a face turning from me to his mom.  But that's another post.  Sorry.

I really was smiling in the picture.  Didn't mean to hijack.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 06:16:53 am »
   This was a couple months ago when I posted. and the swelling had just started.  I'm a slow mower. :'(

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm237/4kids4christmas/P1030549.jpg

After the swelling had reached its peak I was at the BX on base in the  electronics department when a child kept insistantly calling his mom.  When I was about to suggest she might want to see what was so important I heard an exasperated "What?!"  Where he , in an accusing voice, proclaimed that, "You said the boogie man was not real!" 

Turning to the voice I saw a small finger pointing at me and a face turning from me to his mom.  But that's another post.  Sorry.

I really was smiling in the picture.  Didn't mean to hijack.

one suggestion, wear your veil or get a faster mower  :evil:  ;)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 07:04:54 am »
seems like this time of year the bees are very grouchy. but that was a nice visual description johnny....like a cartoon. looks like a bee veil should be standard equipment for your mower.

Offline Big John

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 08:54:29 am »
I have learned one thing the hard way, it has been a lot better mowing if you put the bottom in if you have SSB, have not been stung since I remember to do this ever time.
"Semper Fi"

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 10:05:31 am »
Would sure like to see some pics!!!

...JP ;)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline octagon

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 01:03:29 pm »
I mow fast and early in the morning, the same with rototilling as a few hives are near the garden, haven't been stung yet.

Offline Card

• House Bee
  • Ken
    • Wikipedia Photo Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 01:29:18 pm »
My two colonies are both first-year, and they've both been extremely un-agressive, so I haven't had any problem mowing or weedeating around the hives.

Flashlights, though? Huh-uh. Don't even think about going out there at night and shining a flashlight on them. My girls hate that.
"You will come to learn a great deal if you study the insignificant in depth." - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline alflyguy

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 04:23:56 pm »
I've worried about cutting the grass next to my hives. I usually weed eat next to them wearing a veil. I use an electric weed eater which doesn't seem to bother them much. My dad does the rest with a riding more. He doesn't wear a veil and so far he hasn't been stung. Anyway, great story. I'll share it with my 76 year old dad.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 05:42:43 pm »
I hate to say I told you so.....no, not really.  I told you so :evil:
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain