Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Losses and pesticides  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Bee Losses and pesticides
« on: March 29, 2013, 08:56:08 pm »
I almost hate to post this link but my wife found it today and sent it to me.

I know you passionate you guys are on both sides of the fence and don't want to start a halabaloo but I know it might.

Interesting reading in any case.  So here you go.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/29/science/earth/soaring-bee-deaths-in-2012-sound-alarm-on-malady.html?_r=0

Sorry,

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
Re: Bee Losses and pesticides
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 10:40:13 pm »
Yeah these sure are critical times for us. I want to change vocations and grow my apiaries, but all this kind of news keeps me doing what I have been for the last 38 years. I am still gonna grow, but not near the level I'd like to.

Joel

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 11:10:14 pm »
That's exactly why I not put my hives in the delta on Soybeans and Cotton.
I have 1 registered bee yard in the delta of Arkansas.
Too much of this GMO seed being used.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 11:24:35 pm »
long crappy weather for much of the country.  in my neighborhood, the winter was shorter and milder and my hives came through strong.  CCD predates insecticides, cell phone, etc.  might any of the currently popular targets be contributors?  maybe...but i'd sure hate to see a repeat of the DDT lunacy without some proof.

like insecticides and other chemicals or not, they are the difference between 3rd world crops and our crops. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 10:19:06 am »
What is the earliest recorded CCD?  I really don't remember hearing about it until the neocotionoids began being used....
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 10:38:12 am »
how does putting friopnil and other pesticides directly into hives factor in to the equation?   a lot of things came together at once in the late 90's and early 00's.  i think agricultural pesticides are a convenient target but only a part of the problem at best.  also, australia isn't mentioned in the article and they aren't experiencing the same problems as the rest of the world. instead of conveniently pointing our finger at the pesticide industry why are we not looking onto what's different down there?  the pesticides are present but the massive losses aren't.  

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 12:00:49 pm »
The current bee journal has an interesting article on the different bad things that come out of the ground and are more abundant during drought years. Thought that may be a factor too.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 12:43:31 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

http://www.beeculture.com/content/ColonyCollapseDisorderPDFs/7%20Colony%20Collapse%20Disorder%20Have%20We%20Seen%20This%20Before%20-%20Robyn%20M.%20Underwood%20and%20Dennis%20vanEngelsdorp.pdf

i don't know when there started to be national and international sharing of info, but it may be that we are now realizing that these things happen, rather than witnessing a new thing.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 08:23:17 pm »
That was enlightening Kathy. Thanks for posting it.

Joel