Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbee from New York  (Read 1508 times)

Offline CrowMeris

• Brood
Newbee from New York
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:54:55 am »
Down in the Southern Tier, and three years behind schedule!
I am hoping to start my first hive this spring if my back allows. When we moved here from Maine, we thought we'd save a few bucks by doing most of the toting and heaving ourselves - this was a grand thing when we were in our 20s, our 30s, our 40s. Now that we are in our 50s? Not so much!
Anyway, two ruptured discs sort of put my plans on hold. In the intervening years, I've turned the previously manicured and chemically-treated huge side yard into a meadow of clovers and wildflowers. The former owner must cry whenever he drives by.
I have a good number of wild bees (honey and otherwise) who feed quite contently on what is provided, so I think my environment is right. A local bee-keeper will start me with a three-frame nuc when I am ready, so now I am trying to decide between all of the hive choices.....and keeping my fingers crossed that my back continues to heal and cooperate.
Confession: I've been lurking here for a while. Great people, great advice!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Newbee from New York
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 09:42:31 am »
Welcome Crow....

If you have a local beekeeper willing to help you out,  take advantage off it.   Climate is a huge factor in beekeeping,  and a local beekeeper (assuming he is successful) is a better resource than members of the forum that are 1000's of miles away.  With that in mind, I would strongly suggest you start out with the same types of hives he has until you feel confident in your beekeeping.  By using the same type of hive,  he can always help you out in a pinch,  whether it is an extra super or a frame of brood.

Based on your comment about lifting, I assume you are contemplating a top bar hive.  Just keep in mind, you can easily manipulate a Langstroth without lifting full supers by moving one frame at a time to a temporary box set next to the hive.  Yes it is a little more time consuming,  but as a hobbyist,  spending time with the bees is the goal :-D

Rob....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison