Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When do i put a super on  (Read 1367 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
When do i put a super on
« on: March 02, 2007, 07:33:05 pm »
Hello all

Well it has been a funny year but this yeaar we just might get more honey then we may need today i had to open my first hive entrance full because to many bees were trying to come and go. So it's telling me that they are building up to fast all three looks good but i may have to open my third hive entrance to full because they are having problems coming and going so when do you all think i may need to put a super on the maples here has not even bloomed yet and my girls are bringin pollen by the tons and i also notice some honey in open cells that they are storing. I mean it looks like 50 coming and 50 going my second hive is building up good and slow but they are all working like crazy is it safe to put a super on in the next couple of weeks.

TOM

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: When do i put a super on
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:43:55 pm »
Look in the boxes and see if they are full of bees.  If they are only half full, I would not put a super on.  If they are 80% or more, I WOULD.

It's a blizzard here right now.  I can't get get out of the driveway because it's drifting so bad.  I80 was closed across the whole state.  The idea of putting a super on now, is beyond my comprehension.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: When do i put a super on
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 09:53:54 pm »
80-90% full super means its time to add another.  80-90% full of comb, of bees, and of nectar or brood.
another way is to add supers when they start working on the last 2 frames of foundation.  In heavy flow periods add 2 supers at a time.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything