Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Warning tearjerker images in link.  (Read 10554 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Warning tearjerker images in link.
« on: November 13, 2008, 11:55:32 pm »
http://imagenebula.com/?task=view&id=2149

Man kills Beehive by accident.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Warning tearjerker images in link.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 02:07:48 am »
It wasn't by accident. He wanted to kill them. I wish I had not looked at this as it made me feel so sad, especially that sound he heard from them, probably screaming and crying for their lives.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 05:21:58 am »
It wasn't by accident. He wanted to kill them. I wish I had not looked at this as it made me feel so sad, especially that sound he heard from them, probably screaming and crying for their lives.

I agree it was no accident. I believe the title should read, complete and utter ignorance of moron kills wonderful little honeybee colony.

I'm usually using my sawzoll or rotozip, hammer and prybar opening God knows what for anywhere from 5-8 hrs removing hives (like you Brendhan) and here's this lovely little colony, completely exposed, easily accessed and they get the redneck rake 'em treatment!

What a shame, he should of at least got a few stings to teach him a lesson. Oh well.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 08:25:24 am »
And to think of eating off of that bbq after the pesticide treatment. Did he read the can???

Offline edenviewgarden

• House Bee
  • Jane
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 09:09:41 am »
Oh, that kills me!  :'(  poor bees.  I wish my upcoming removal could be as easy as that one would have been!  It's amazing how most people's first reaction is to kill the bees without a thought.  Even when my husband first found "our" bees, he came inside to ask me if we had any wasp spray.  I asked him what he wanted to spray and he told me there were bees in his wood pile garbage can and he wanted to kill them.  So I said- wait a minute, let me see them.  And there they were building their beautiful combs, happy as could bee (hee hee- we're all adopting Cindi's form of laughter!).  I could practically put my face in the can, they were so gentle.  I asked him if he had seen the news- bees were practically endangered!  I wanted to save them so I got on the internet to look for local beekeepers and reasearched beekeeping and Wa La we were conscripted into the wonderful world of bees and beekeeping!
Those who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 09:57:29 am »
It is a shame to lose a beautiful hive like that.

But really, give the guy a little slack.  He needs to use his grill.  Most people are afraid of bees.  He had no idea there was a hive in there.  Most people have no idea what a hive looks like.  The bees were probably there for a couple or 3 weeks.

Sure, the best thing to do would be to get on the internet and start researching.  But when you need to use the grill, and there are some bees flying around it, it is only natural to try to get rid of the bees.  I can only imagine that he was shocked at seeing the pile of bees underneath.  He probably thought it was a big wasp or hornet nest before bombing them. (Most of the calls I get are yellowjackets, sometimes it is hard for me to tell what they are)

Bees in hives are nice and productive.  Bees in the wrong spot are pests.

Rick
Rick

Offline edenviewgarden

• House Bee
  • Jane
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 11:04:43 am »
That's what my husband thought our bees were at first- yellow jackets.  He had a bad experience up north with yellow jackets making a big nest in his attic, so he naturally was a little freaked.  But he has come full circle and has grown quite fond of our little feral beehive.

But, as far as the guy and his grill, I just think he's not in tune with God. LOL  God probably sent the bees to set up housekeeping so he would get the message that consuming nitrates in the form of charred meat wasn't good for his health!  :shock: LOL  Oh well, he missed it. Hardy, har har!
Those who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 01:12:46 pm »
Quote from Rick "But really, give the guy a little slack.  He needs to use his grill."

I here you and I understand he needed to use his grill, its just heartbreaking to see an easily accessible, very young colony destroyed by ignorance. I bet he at least had a clue that they may have been honeybees.

He could have made a few calls to see if someone could identify them and remove them for free if he didn't want to pay.

No, I don't know if he made any calls or not.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 04:25:59 pm »
I agree that it is a heartbreaking shame to see a pretty hive like that killed.  It don't bother me too bad because there isn't the remotest possibilility that I could have gotten it.  If that had been my neighbor I might be steamed...

But my point was, even if he knew they were honeybees, the posting sounded like he was very surprised at what he found underneath.  He thought that it was just a bunch of bees hanging out for some reason only bees know, or even yellowjackets.

I really think that the average person out there doesn't have the foggiest idea of what a beehive consists of, they just live in the little white boxes on farms, not in grills of all places!.  Most of the time they are a threat, not a fascinating microcosm of honey producing wonders.

I'm sure that if there is a next time, this fellow will know what they are and stop and think a little more before nuking them.

BHB (before honey bees) I don't think it would have occurred to me that bees would build that in a covered grill.  I would probably have done the same thing.

Rick
Rick

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 07:50:52 pm »
...............bummer................. :'(

your friend,
john

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 12:18:16 am »
That is really a shame.  Guess I'm just nosy but I woulda taken off the cover to see what was going on...there might have been some food left there that attracted insects.. :?  I like to be sure of what I'm dealing with before applying chems, specially around where you have food..like the BBQ..J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 05:48:31 am »
Find the bees was the accident not killing the bees

And to think of eating off of that bbq after the pesticide treatment. Did he read the can???

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 05:05:48 pm by buzzbee »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 01:31:35 pm »
That WOULD have been the easiest cutout ever...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 12:43:53 am »
That WOULD have been the easiest cutout ever...

yup
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 03:38:16 am »
I got these pics from work on the 12th november. They are said to have come from Australia, possibly the NT. It certainly looks like a BBQ we have here, and the mortein packaging and rake are sold here. It looks more aussie than yankee.

Its just a shocking waste. I hope the bastards get poisoned the next time they use the BBQ. I only wish they had have been European wasps, then they would be in hospital.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 09:12:09 am »
I got these pics from work on the 12th november. They are said to have come from Australia, possibly the NT. It certainly looks like a BBQ we have here, and the mortein packaging and rake are sold here. It looks more aussie than yankee.

Its just a shocking waste. I hope the bastards get poisoned the next time they use the BBQ. I only wish they had have been European wasps, then they would be in hospital.

Yes, It was was in .au.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Melilem

• House Bee
    • New England Bee Photos
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 09:22:05 am »
Alright people, we can't harbor such hate for the poor fool because he is ignorant(well actually he is probably just uneducated). Many people can't distinguish a honeybee from a yellowjacket. He did what most people with his knowledge level of bees would do. It really is his loss. Its not nearly as bad as that kid who lit a fire under the swarm on the swingset.

Offline Denise

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 05:04:31 pm »
The hubby just sent me this today. It made us both heartsick. What an incredible waste of a hive. All those little lives.
This type of person calls anything that flies and stings a "bee". And if it flies and stings, KILL IT!! I love his comment about the queen flying away. Right. Idiot.
"I saw me life pass before me eyes. It was really boring." - Babs, Chicken Run

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 04:25:35 pm »
"On the other hand, we think the Queen flew away." My A$$.

I got same email from friend and was heartbroken. I too would love such an easy removal after all of the dirty, difficult, and uncomfortable ones i have done. Tha is an easy removal, perfect for a new beek.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

anything