Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new member post as requested by Beemaster  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Niwatori

• New Bee
new member post as requested by Beemaster
« on: October 27, 2006, 09:10:58 pm »
Just checking in:  HELLO, I'm REAL. don't delete me!

Just starting beekeeping, will buy my first bees in spring '07.

From the home of LL Bean's, Freeport, Maine.

John

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 10:08:37 pm »
Welcome to the forum. I too will be getting my 1st hive in the spring of 07
 8)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 12:17:20 am »
All beekeepers welcome here.  Knowledge must be shared.  I've been beekeeping since 1959 and am ordering 3 packages of bees in 2007 for the first time in over 20 years.  To show you how long ago it was that I ordered bees, I got them through the Sears and Montgomery Ward catalogs.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 01:33:42 am »
John:

Great to see you read my post - it surely was written to save new members from an accidental pruning using the future software - you are now SAFE and a welcomed member of our community.

A great way I like to think of it is: you don't have to EARN a right to be here, you only need to lose it from violating the basic rights of common decency, good manners and fellowship through communicating ideas which interest others and educate us all. Sounds Utopian, it isn't, but family values are an important part of our forums.

I look at the photos recently posted by friends and members (actually all friends met through this forum) and to see their children and the closeness and bonds they share, I would never allow anyone to prevent either parent or child from coming here and subjecting them to vulgar, rude and illegal behavior - that is why our forum software has reached it's life span.

PHPBB (what we use now) has served us well, but it is full of gaps which are now allowing videos to be posted almost randomly across the forums by human spammers. These videos (luckily) require a special Codec upgrade to start playing the video, and I strongly suggest if ANYONE come across a post with a ADULT NATURE VIDEO only a few clicks away, report it to any admin or mod ASAP.

These types of HUMAN spam are NOT stoppable from getting into the forum, but tracking down and deleting them is NOT an easy feat with PHPBB - I have not mentioned the software name yet (purposely) which we will be switching to, but IF I RECEIVE A SINGLE REQUEST from ANY MEMBER concerning a suspicious post, I can immediately bring up EACH POST by this villain, and even if he/she spammed a dozen forum and a dozen posts in each forum - I can RID THE FORUMS of EVERY POST with 2 simple mouse clicks, saving dozens of man hours hunting and pecking and possibly missing a post or two.

As you see, I may not write replies to EVERY POST, although I would love to, but I do write lengthy replies when I do. Replies I hope MANY MEMBERS READ, even-though it is written to you John, generally speaking letters from the Admin. get some attention and hopefully everyone will understand that the morals of this forum are strong and shall remain so to the best of the dedicated members who have stepped forward to keep the trash from getting to the eyes of the members.

I see a much easier forum to moderate, although the VAST MEMBERSHIP here has no hatred, never gone Postal and rarely left topic other than to communicate on like-interests outside beekeeping. Those who have disavowed the rules have been booted, banned and sent on their way - either by a popular vote through Private Messages to me and the mod-squad or immediate dismissal due to blatant actions on their part.

I even enforce a BUCK STOPS HERE policy which has upset several mods and many members from time to time, but if I get a feeling that a member is using the forum for person gain, exploiting some self-visualized "Better than thou" attitude, I will see they never return to these places of learning and friendship.

So, there is a mouthful, I'm glad to see you stand-up and come forward to say hello, I'm sure it was pain free and it becomes easier with every keystroke. Welcome aboard John and may 2007 be a banner year for your bees, by then I know you will have read enough to have confidence in your decisions and a quick reference for any unanswered or questionable behaviour of our hairy little friends who bring us so much wonder.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline pvtpilot

• New Bee
Re: new member post as requested by Beemaster
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 09:50:25 pm »
Hi John
  Name here is Rich, I live in New Durahm, NH.  Have had bees since Spring 2006... started with 2 packages of Italians... Friend of mine, Greg, helped me get started. Started with two hives, captured a swarm, then there were three... merged two hives early October after commiting a Royal Execution,,, now there are two again.  We have a young orchard with about 225 fruit trees (mostly apple). Left all the honey this year for the bees except for 2 1/2 lbs (two small frames). It's been a great learning experience and I'm facinated by it all.  Making honey meads with different fruits is one of my goals.

Best Regards,

Rich

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 10:10:48 pm »
In the voice communication forum there is a link to a program called ventrilo. You can download it sometime and jump in and have a chat with us!! Many of us have a mic setup and talk to each other but text chat is also an option.We converse on bees and any other subject that pops up keeping in mind that this chat is often visited by younger members. Welcome aboard! :lol:

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 02:54:31 am »
Hi PVTPilot:

Thanks for posting, you are safely secure in the move - I just finished deleting all the spammers and anyone who never logged-in is gone (anyone who has either logged in (or) posted is safe) the numbers are down sizably which shows how big of a problem the spammers really were. So far (three spam-free days and counting) we are riding in near cruise control.

I'm proud to say we not only have the No.1 rated bee forum in the major search engines, we now also likely have the most secure - surely, we have an awesome membership and that speaks plenty for everyone here :)

Thanks for writing.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 09:56:59 am »
The more members the merrier
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything