Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive size  (Read 3332 times)

Offline littlehawk

• New Bee
Hive size
« on: February 05, 2010, 08:05:05 pm »
Hello to everyone on this forumn. I am a little confused. I want to start buidling my own hive and the frames. However the plans that I downloaded from Beesource and others all have different sizes for the suppers and the frames. If someone could enlighten me on which one is correct it would be a great help. I have come to the conclusion that you must need to know the size of the foundation first in order to build the boxes and frames to fit. HELP!!!!! Thanks

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Re: Hive size
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:20:38 pm »
Assuming that you want to use the standard hives that most American Bee keepers use (which is a big assumption because you didn't fill out your location in your profile) you will be building Langstroth style hives.  You are seeing different sizes because there ARE different sizes:

Deeps are usually used for the brood nest part of the hive.
Shallows are used as "supers" during a honey flow for the bees to store surplus honey - Your honey.
Mediums are used for either purpose.

Some people use all deeps (usually professionals with crews of strong backs to handle them.  And others use all mediums because they are lighter when full.

There are a lot of advantages to using all one size box for everything.  There are also a lot of advantages to using similar equipment to other bee keepers in your area.

You just have to decide how you want to go.  The bees won't care.

You should read lighter bee keeping equipment if you haven't already.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 12:32:45 am »
Hello to everyone on this forumn. I am a little confused. I want to start buidling my own hive and the frames. However the plans that I downloaded from Beesource and others all have different sizes for the suppers and the frames. If someone could enlighten me on which one is correct it would be a great help. I have come to the conclusion that you must need to know the size of the foundation first in order to build the boxes and frames to fit. HELP!!!!! Thanks
More important is to decide what size boxes that you will want to work with and build the frames to give the correct bee space and then fit of the foundation if you chose to use it.
For example the size of a medium hive box is is 6-5/8" tall and the frame to fit it is 6-1/4" to provide the correct bee space. If you are building the frames for the experience, GREAT. If not I would recommend to buy the frames. It is hard to justify the build when the frames are as cheap as they are for the amount of work involved to get them to fit well and the labor time to get to the finished frame.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 01:00:29 pm »
If you want all the same size (which I would recommend)
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#uniformframesize
I'd go with mediums.  But there are actually many sizes, and weights:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#lighterboxes

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline littlehawk

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 02:03:34 pm »
Thanks to all who responded to my question. I still need to know do you get the foundation first and then adjust the size of the supers width to that or do you just build the standard sie and have a little foundation waving in the breee on either side of the frame. I have watched some videos and the frames they put together appears that the foundation in put into grooves alll around the frame. I do appreciate all the comments on this subject. Thanks again

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 04:09:18 pm »
If you go with any standard size you can order foundation to fit it.  Don't decide which box to get based on foundation size - get foundation to fit the box you like.  Or alternatively - don't use foundation at all.  If you use standard sizes you won't have to adjust the size of anything - it will all fit together.

If you are confused or don't want to spend a lot of time deciding what to do then go with all medium depth for everything, and you won't be too far wrong.  Even if you later decide you want to use deeps you will still be able to use your medium equipment along with it.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline littlehawk

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 05:13:51 pm »
Thank You David I appreciate the info. I guess by looking in Mann Catalog is what got me confused because I was looking at the foundation in there and looking at the plans I had and could not wrap my brain around the Idea that the foundation was not going to fit. Your information was very helpful Thanks

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »
Go ahead and buy one un assembled box of the size you plan to use. You will have to buy over wide lumber and rip it to size. Nominal size lumber doesn't come the right size for the job.
I use the but end joint for mine. Then my table saw to cut the frame rest before assembly.
Make sure to allow for saw kurf
A good wood glue and I drill pilot holes one or two size's smaller than the nail I am using. Saves split outs.  :) doak

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 05:45:34 am »
Sometimes things aren't so clear.  Seems like Walter T. Kelley does the best job  of saying exactly what foundation goes with what frame.  The confusion is because you have, for instance, a 6 5/8" box (medium aka Illinois aka 3/4) and the frame that goes in it is 6 1/4".  The foundation that goes in that is something like 5 3/4" (don't have a catalog in front of me now).  So you look at all those and it's not intuitive what goes together.  I'd recommend a Walter T. Kelley catalog to clear up any confusion.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 05:20:20 pm »
I would decide what size of box that I want to lift first..................deeps, mediums, or shallows.

Then, call one of the supply houses that is close to you (we really don't know where you are yet) and have them tell you what frame size and foundation that will "fit" your box.

After that, they will probably ask you if you want to go with grooved tops and bottoms, grooved tops and divided bottoms, wedge tops and divided bottoms, wedge tops and grooved bottoms, etc., etc., etc.  And that's just the frame style!!

Then, what type of foundation (if any) do you want to use?  Plain, wired, plastic, thin, etc.

Most of the good suppliers can make recommendations once they know what you want to do with the hives.

Sorry for the confusion!

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

anything