Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wholesale Mason Jar source(s)?  (Read 9157 times)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Wholesale Mason Jar source(s)?
« on: June 04, 2008, 12:56:16 pm »
Greetings all,

Looks like harvest season is starting early this year.  All hives (except recent splits) have at least one super of capped honey and the strong hives are well on their way to capping the second supers.  So that means loads of honey to harvest, bottle & get to market.  I prefer and use wide-mouth mason jars (quarts & pints) but have yet to find a good wholesale outlet.  Anyone have an referrals?

TIA,
Dane

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Wholesale Mason Jar source(s)?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:42:42 pm »
I don't have any referral, I usually just stock up on them when they go on sale at the local supermarket or store. I think they are around $9 for a case 12  for qts.
Rick

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 02:16:29 pm »
I don't have any referral, I usually just stock up on them when they go on sale at the local supermarket or store. I think they are around $9 for a case 12  for qts.

That's the best price I can find them at (sometimes) as well.  I was just hoping to obtain a more consistent availability at that price (or better, of course.. lol).  The grocery stores themselves likely get supplied from Unified Grocers... but Unified has a $2k/month minimum order requirement for their accounts.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 02:33:32 pm »
Not a permanent solution, but Craig's list for used ones. I also tell people i'll take a buck off for jar return too w/ mason jars.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 02:36:18 pm »
you probably already did a google search.  i had bookmarked this place because they had some nice jars in different shapes and wide mouth.

http://www.specialtybottle.com/?gclid=CLrlismq25MCFQShggod8BSaYg
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 02:43:21 pm »
I bought some from Hobby Lobby for 2.00 a piece thought I got ripped off then know I got ripped off now.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 02:55:50 pm »
Not a permanent solution, but Craig's list for used ones. I also tell people i'll take a buck off for jar return too w/ mason jars.

I do the $1 return on the jars too, but very rarely get any back.  I don't use used jars unless they are extremely clean, which is pretty rare since they get buildups and haze if they were canned in.

Rick
Rick

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 03:55:02 pm »
Localy we have a Fred's and a Dollar General. We have bought from both for $7.99 a case of 12.,narrow mouth. Large mouth is hard for us to find so we just been cutting comb in narrower slices.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 04:03:32 pm »
I'm not too up on wholesale purchasing yet, but don't you need a tax ID for that?  I am going to need to go wholesale for some stuff in the near future also.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 10:05:34 pm »
not wholesale & takes a bit of time but garage/estate sales almost always have jars.  If you have family members that like to do that sort of thing you can have a contest, who can get the most best jars for $25!! Just make sure they know you want only wide mouth & not icky ones.  Most times you can sparkle em up by washing w baking soda scrub or doing a vinegar rinse (not at the same tme!!).    Also, many older ladies in Church have boxes & boxes stashed in their attics & basement.  Offer honey as a trade??  This may be more work than you want to do but it's fun talking with them, you learn a lot & make a new friend! Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 11:27:03 pm »
Thanques for all the replies everyone!  :-D   I find it cool how everyone has their unique solutions.  And they all work, which is sort of testament to both individuality and problem solving.  But I digress...   :-X 

For my own situation I'm thinking just a big (think multiple pallets, 100's of cases) order of new jars would serve best.  I've ~ 40 hives and will have pulled 2 supers off the majority of them by weeks end already... and the blackberries haven't even started yet!  :shock:  So anything that streamlines the QA process is a plus.   Acquiring and dealing with dirty &/or old jars would be a diminishing return on time invested, unfortunately (being frugal/recycling really appeals to me).

One of my client stores is offering to get wholesale jars for me (cost details unknown as yet) I may even have a lead on a direct from manufacturer order... I'm trying to find out what their minimum order would be... and if I've room for 750 cases of jars.   :-\

Thanks again!
Dane

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 01:50:54 am »
 8-) give these guys a call http://www.calglass-pcc.com/catalog/index.htm  RDY-B

Offline stinger27

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 04:12:01 am »
     Hey Dane,
   I went to my local grocery and asked the manager if I ordered cases of jars could he give me a break?  I got mine at 10% over his cost.  Never know till you ask I always say.  Hope this helps.
Bee Safe,
    Stinger27

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 09:38:56 am »
Dane, I have said this before and I'll say it again.  What the blazes is going on over at your place?!!!!!  You shock me with your tales of the honeyflows, I am serious.  Good for you!!!  I am happy for you.  You must have the nectar from the heavens at your locale, no wonder you wanted to increase your hives so much, now you are going to have to get many, many employees to help you out, hee, hee.  Good going Dane!!!  Wishing you the best that I know this year will again offer to you and your bees!!!  Beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 01:46:29 pm »
rdy-b ~> thx!  That company has a location near me (Vancouver, WA) so that may be a good option (save on shipping) in exploring their jar offerings (they don't have masons but do have hex, paragon ,etc.,).

stinger27 ~> good advice.  That's exactly what I did, & the grocery store is also a client (sells my honey). 

Hi Cindi!  I know, I know... you hate me don't you?  ;)  Unless I bring my colonies down to the almonds in future years (I won't, lol) I think this season will likely be my biggest/earliest.  The hives I got from the almonds were absolutely loaded with nectar stores - bad for my arms, good for early harvests!   It is an excellent location for nectar, to be sure - I was checking some of the farms within foraging distance and found some I had not seen previously - strawberries, clovers and there is a tulip farm in range too (could explain that early black pollen!).   So I can highly recommend apiary locations adjacent to the triumvirate of wetlands, farms/orchards and suburbia as very productive.

Now if only the weather would cooperate (it's cold and rainy!)  :'(

Cheers,
Dane

Offline abates99

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 04:00:50 pm »
I know a  a guy that has several hives and makes lots of honey, he gets jars from the salvation army very cheep.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 09:52:06 am »
Dane, oh I don't hate you, hee, hee, you know that, hee, hee.  You are a very fortunate man to have this wonderful area to farm your bees, you have something special going on there, I am envious, hee, hee, but I am so happy for you!!!  I have this beautiful picture in my mind's eye of your area and it brings a wonderful sense of well being to my soul.  I don't know why, but when I think of your place, I think of the beauty that you must be surrounded by, each and every day, the myriad of flowers, flowering trees, shrubs, and that list goes on.....be grateful for that Dane, you are fortunate to be a part of this type of wilderness that you live in.....and it must be beautiful.

It will so be interesting for you this year to see what your honey harvest will be.  I still remember last harvest time marvelling at the beautiful honey that you showed us in our forum, the bottles of pollen.....loveliy.  Have the best of this great day, love this life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service