Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first swarm!!  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
My first swarm!!
« on: June 18, 2008, 06:58:26 pm »
I had friends over for a picnic today - three friends and their children and while they were here I took them down to see my hives - both hives were fine!  We we walked back up towards my house and we headed over to my flower bed outside my house to admire my Lilies...and I noticed something flying around one of my bushes - then I saw what it was - a SWARM!!!!  I had a swarm of honey bees in a bush in my main flower bed - right outside my house!!!! OMG!!!!!  I couldn't believe it!!!!  What are the odds?  It isn't from my hives!!!  Yet its right outside my own front door!  I don't know of any other beekeepers close to me!  Its like these came to me lol!  How funny!

So I had an audience as I caught my very first swarm!  It was so exciting :)  Luckily my friend had her camera and took pictures which I hope to get from her later and my Son was around to film it. 

I'm glad I've watched lots of youtube videos on catching swarms :)  it made it easy!

Oh and I also got my very first bee sting so I guess I'm an official bee keeper now right??  ;)

The bees are in a big box ready to go in a hive that I will set up tonight when DH is home to help....I have everything thankfully....

I'm so excited :) 

Heres the swarm before I cut it out:

Offline Rex

• House Bee
Re: My first swarm!!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 07:00:35 pm »
That's so cool...WTG!!

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 07:06:15 pm »
It is the most exciting thing.  It's like getting baptized into beekeeping.  Like a gift from the bee gods for taking care of their little creatures.

Congrats.

Dave

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 07:49:10 pm »
How wonderful! With an audience too now you are a real pro!  Congrats.  I have still never seen a swarm... :'(  They probably steer clear from Buckley cause Sean & I starve ours.... :? ;) Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 08:49:53 pm »
Yahoo, you done good!

Make sure you have a queen!  Keep a close eye on them, and feed them tile they get established ( that was the fine advice given me when I hived my first swarm ).

Congrats!

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 10:01:04 pm »
Got our first swarm call yesterday!  Drove to town and picked up about a two pound swarm from a limb of a Pecan Tree.  Was about 25 feet up in the tree..  Just tossed a rope with a small weight on the end over the limb.  Quick jerk, down came Bees limb and all.  Waited five minutes for them to regroup, set a Deep beneath the limb, a hard tap to the limb and they were all in the Deep.  Five minutes later sealed them up.  Total time fifteen minutes plus the drive. :) :) :) :)

Offline beekybuzzard

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 10:25:12 pm »
Congrats. I got my first swarm experience with my dad, we started together this year with the classes at the local beekeeping club and then got to hive a swarm together about 5 weeks later. Great to have family or friends around for firsts like that isn't it.
With the help of the Lord I hope to be a good and faithful Shepard to all that He allows me to attend.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 10:31:24 pm »
  YAYYYY JANE!!!!
Your story sounded just perfect!!!
 My first swarm was fifty feet from my house in my back yard!
I was late for work and got stung 13 times around my ankles but it was worth it!!!
 I bet you were so high on this experience, especially with the audience and all!!

I feel really happy for you!
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 12:54:48 am »
WTG!!!  ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything