Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: all about me, me, me... ok, a little about me  (Read 2194 times)

Offline hoverround

• New Bee
all about me, me, me... ok, a little about me
« on: August 16, 2010, 04:02:33 am »
I am a beekeeper from Michigan, ok not really a beekeeper, more of a beereader.  I have been reading about honeybees for about 20 years now.  My Dad and my Uncle were farmers and hobby beekeepers and I visited their bee yards and assisted with handling from time to time.  I was overcome with bee fever early and the topic has always held my interest.  I have never acquired any equipment or bees though I have known many in passing and I maintain a deep respect for the work they do.  I have rescured them when they fell in the pool, released them from the truck or the house and wished them well on their journey home.  I have simply never had time to devote to their care as a beekeeper must. 

My other interests are woodworking, boating, fishing, music and my grandchildren (4).

I am expecting to have a little more time soon and would like to hook up with some local farmer or perhaps a beekeeping club, maybe next spring...I sometimes think I am as busy as a bee, then I realize most of the time I'm just hovering around.  I think maybe this is the time to get started.  My lawn is mostly white clover and I rarely see a honeybee.  I miss 'em.

Time waits for no man.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Re: all about me, me, me... ok, a little about me
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 08:16:28 am »
Hello and Welcome!

This forum is a good place to hang out and learn more about bees and beekeeping. And don't forget the tutorials on the main Beemaster page.

Getting involved in a beekeeping club is a good idea. Clubs are great places to find mentors and get connected to nearby beekeepers. Plus, clubs often offer classes for beginners, and club members can make recommendations bases on what works best in your area.
http://www.michiganbees.org/links/

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 03:58:30 pm »
Hey, welcome to the forum.  You have an advantage already - you are a woodworker.  There are plans on line for most of the woodenware that beekeepers use, maybe you can get a jumpstart this winter and make yourself some equipment.  Other beekeepers would probably be happy to trade equipment for bees (I know I would, although I live in Eastern Iowa) come Spring.  You could get some more localized bees that way which can be an advantage.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:47:37 pm »
get started with a club, collection of equipment, etc.  you'll need to order your bees in February or so if you are getting packages.  the more you can get ready over the winter, the better you will do in the spring.

a few hives don't really take much time.  most of us spend more time messing with them than needed....or probably wanted (by the bees).
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 09:05:46 am »
where in Michigan are you?

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 01:53:12 pm »
We've got a nice little club here in Holland!

I too had a yard with clover and few bees.  Now I've got thousands!!  Sounds like you have a lot of the knowledge going for you,  I started out with none...

I've found out since that there are quite a few beehives within a mile or two of me, there is a lot more beekeeping around than you might think.  In fact most of the swarm calls I get are in neighbor hoods or areas where I'd least expect to find bees.

You can stop by most beekeepers and chat, I love talking bees when people stop by and ask questions.

And you have your profile location halfway filled out, if you get a pinpoint on that city I'm willing to be that there is a beek here that is nearby!

Rick
Rick