Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: BT aizawai ordered for wax moths Need Help Please!!  (Read 9959 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
BT aizawai ordered for wax moths Need Help Please!!
« on: July 22, 2008, 09:26:14 pm »
OK guys and gals

I finally got the BT aizawai ordered for my wax moths. Expect to receive it probably within 2 weeks time.

Meanwhile, I will check on my hive every few days and cut out any wax moth larvae I find to keep this hive going until the product arrives. Also tomorrow I will bring this hive down once again from 3 mediums supers to 2 mediums. The queen is laying very nicely and there are many new frames of capped brood so I expect a population explosion soon and hopefully the new population can keep things in check until  the Bt stuff arrives.

Here is a quote from a gentleman named Sundance on the Beesource forum who is sending me the BT

"This is a powdered form of Bt aizawai which
is the same as Certan/B401. It only takes 4
teaspoons to make a gallon of spray and
there is an indefinite shelf life on this
form prior to mixing."

I am going to need precise details on how to use this stuff. OK according to his instructions, I measure out the 4 tsps into a gallon of water.(cold water??) I guess I would shake the jug until mixed really good. Then pour some of this to fill up a spray bottle. Does this sound good so far??

When I go up to spray the hives. Would I then remove one frame at a time, shake all the bees off and spray the frame, both sides, with the stuff?? Does the frame have to be wet from the spray???

Then what do I do?? Place the wet frame back into the hive or wait until it drys?? So I do each and every frame in the hive, including the honey frames and the brood frames??? NOt sure about this part. I do not feel comfortable spraying the open brood frames.

Please let me know in detail because I know when I get up there I will have so many questions and might make mistakes.

I appreciate all the help I receive

Sincerely
Annette

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: BT aizawai ordered for wax moths Need Help Please!!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:37:15 pm »
a couple of things need to be mentioned about this product. One is I don't believe it is approved to be put into the hive here in the US  and neither is the certain. It is a preventive procedure done before any problems start. It should be dry before putting it into the hive. As for mixing I just use a 2 gallon sprayer and lay all the frames out to be sprayed. Put some into the sprayer with water and shake then spray. I made 4 gallons and did over 240 frames on both sides. The jury is still out on the effectiveness of this product for the wax moths but I did use it this year on all my hives. Small hive beetles are not affected by the bacteria.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 03:19:47 pm »
Annette, I can't comment on anything about this, but I want this post to be kept "bumped" so that it gets some answers that will fully make you feel comfortable about your plan of action.  You are the kind of person that needs to be babied along, just like me, and let me tell you girl, that is a good thing.  That makes us 100% comfortable with any procedure that we need to encounter. When I have a plan of action, I read over it, study it, take this action through my mind, over and over.  Sometimes it takes a long time for me to "get" things, but I do eventually get them.  Good luck, I am wishing you well, and I know things will work for you.  Have a most beautiful, wonderfully awesome day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 07:42:54 pm »
My understanding is it is not harmful to brood. But does this mean directly sprayed on??? I wonder if it is even good to spray straight water on brood? How much would it lower the temp etc. I'll be surprised if anyone knows first hand from directly spraying the brood.

Most folks say wet the combs fairly well for good coverage w/a garden sprayer. If you are apt to lose the hive to wax moth anyway just experiment w/a frame @ the time. Spray very lightly @ first and monitor. You may be better just using a spray bottle for one hive and not mixing up too much to waste. Adapt the amount from the 3-4tsp recommended for a gallon of mix.

Not sure if the BT will transfer from one frame to another in the hive. I'd try it slowly!!! What do you have to lose --- a colony you're going to lose anyway if you do nothing.

And of course I know you already know---- wax moths are a sign of something already gone wrong before the wax moths.
John 3:16

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 09:02:05 pm »
>I am going to need precise details on how to use this stuff. OK according to his instructions, I measure out the 4 tsps into a gallon of water.(cold water??) I guess I would shake the jug until mixed really good. Then pour some of this to fill up a spray bottle. Does this sound good so far??

Yes.

>When I go up to spray the hives. Would I then remove one frame at a time, shake all the bees off and spray the frame, both sides, with the stuff??

Or just spray it with the bees on it.  But it's probably good to shake them off.

> Does the frame have to be wet from the spray???

Just a mist all over it.  It doesn't have to be soaked.

>Then what do I do?? Place the wet frame back into the hive or wait until it drys??

Put it back in.

> So I do each and every frame in the hive, including the honey frames and the brood frames???

Yes.

> NOt sure about this part. I do not feel comfortable spraying the open brood frames.

It won't hurt.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:23:55 am »
>I am going to need precise details on how to use this stuff. OK according to his instructions, I measure out the 4 tsps into a gallon of water.(cold water??) I guess I would shake the jug until mixed really good. Then pour some of this to fill up a spray bottle. Does this sound good so far??

Yes.

>When I go up to spray the hives. Would I then remove one frame at a time, shake all the bees off and spray the frame, both sides, with the stuff??

Or just spray it with the bees on it.  But it's probably good to shake them off.

> Does the frame have to be wet from the spray???

Just a mist all over it.  It doesn't have to be soaked.

>Then what do I do?? Place the wet frame back into the hive or wait until it drys??

Put it back in.

> So I do each and every frame in the hive, including the honey frames and the brood frames???

Yes.

> NOt sure about this part. I do not feel comfortable spraying the open brood frames.

It won't hurt.

Thank you Michael now I feel ready and understand step by step

Annettte

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 10:43:30 am »
Annette.  Good.  You have your procedure in place, you heard it from the best of the best, so go for it girl!!!  Beautiful, most wonderful day, life is worth lovin' and livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 04:56:06 pm »
Thanks MB  ;). Now we know!
John 3:16

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 05:37:31 pm »
OK today I went up with the BT spray in hand and opened up the hive. Well the population has just exploded in this hive with bees falling out the sides when I opened them up.

I did not look into the bottom brood super because there were bees everywhere spilling out on every frame. I felt really good that the bottom super could be protected by the bees now.

The next super up had bees covering every frame, but I did find one frame with a few wax moth larva and I sprayed this frame with the BT solution. I also sprayed a few other frames that were fine, but just in case I sprayed them also. Because there still are some wax moths getting in I decided that I will go back up on tuesday when I have more time and totally take the hive apart and start from the bottom board up and spray each and every frame and super with the BT just to make sure they will be ok. The bees are looking really good and much stronger now.

I also placed a baggie feeder into this hive as the stores are low because this hive missed the honey flow.

Take care dear people
Annette

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 05:44:41 pm »
Sounds like they got enough density of bees to get control of things again and took off.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 11:25:31 am »
This BT is a bacteria that affects the wax moths right?

How long does it last?

Does it spread to other frames in same box?

And where do I get it?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 11:43:22 am »
This BT is a bacteria that affects the wax moths right?
correct

How long does it last?

I believe once sprayed and dried,  it will last many years (obviously I can't say forever, especially with you Jerry :-P)
I have benn using it for 3-4 years now and have not had any issues.  I don't believe it lasts very long in the liquid stage though, so only mix what you need.

Does it spread to other frames in same box?

Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it.   I spray all the old comb frames I put in swarm traps with it.  I just retrieved one last week,  and the wax moths where living quite nicely in the debris in the bottom of the trap. So it doesn't spread too easy.

And where do I get it?

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,13208.0.html
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,14183.0.html
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,8351.0.html
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 12:27:07 pm »
My strong hives don't seem to have a problem but I can't keep comb around anywhere without it getting messed up by wax moths/worms. I cut a bunch of over built comb out of frames and had it in a box for the bees to clean out. Some time later, don't remember how long, this was reduced to a layer of yuk and a big thick pad of cocoons. The chickens liked it.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 12:29:19 pm »
(obviously I can't say forever, especially with you Jerry :-P)

What? You don't think I will last forever?