Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Massive Cut Out  (Read 4702 times)

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
Massive Cut Out
« on: March 24, 2013, 10:10:50 pm »
Did a huge cut out last weekend!  The bees must have been in the wall for over 2 years.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: Massive Cut Out
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:03:06 pm »
Looks good.   The biggest one I have dealt with was 12 feet tall. Five feet wide and 4 combs thick.
Was in the wall for many years. Meanest dang bees I ever saw!!!!! 
If anyone ever offers you bees from a place called Lockport la politely decline and then run away fast!!! :hissyfit: :hissyfit:
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 02:51:43 am »
Wow! there was a good few hours work there I'll bet

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 06:07:57 am »
That's fantastic mate! Plenty of brood in there too!!

Ben

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 03:13:56 am »
When doing the cutout had noticed quite a few SHB in amongst the combs. When putting brood etc into the frames and box, decided to put in an Apithor trap hoping to eliminate them.

Well to my disappointment, the owner of the property who was hoping to keep the hive and build them up, called me and said the bees are pretty much all gone, there is a terrible smell in the hive and it is full of larvae!!!  There must have been a lot of SMB eggs and the disruption weakened the bees defenses and they gave up. What a pity!  Another victim of SHB.  One concellation is that he managed to get at least 20kg of lovely honey in comb.

Offline dermot

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 11:15:58 am »
I'd reckon you're right. Most of the time the bees here (Canberra) seem to be able to handle a handful of beetles running around in the hive, but when I've taken apart a possum or bird box or done a cut out, the next coupla weeks are a danger as I reckon the breakdown of the structure of the superorganism allows the beetles to get away from them.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 02:47:43 am »
Was that one behind asbestos? That's one of the biggest concerns/considerations when removing hives that I find! there's been a few cutouts I've walked away from after the homeowner assured me it wasn't asbestos!

Offline malachii

• New Bee
    • Bluegum Gold
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 08:22:15 am »
I did one job removing a swarm from a soon-to-be demolished asbestos shed. It's very hot trying to where proper asbestos gear underneath a bee suit let me tell you.

malachii

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 11:59:03 pm »
Fortunately only fibro cement cladding!!

anything