Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New beekeeper from Australia  (Read 2767 times)

Offline swingbyte

• New Bee
New beekeeper from Australia
« on: December 16, 2005, 10:41:16 am »
Greetings all
I have just started on the journey of beekeeping - although I think I'm in the fast lane!!
I've been very lucky so far in that on the first meeting of the Victorian beekeeper metting I went to I met an older women who has made me her apprentice.  In the barely one month that I have been keeping bees she has shown me how to capture various swarms, hive a wild colony- including wiring in the odd comb into the frames, identify chalk brood, kill wax moth grubs, extract honey, make frames, process wax, split and combine colonies, extract a swarm from a house wall with a hive and funnel, and more!
I think this is the best way to learn - although I have been reading a lot and the internet, forums like this and the beemasters home page are great.  I have just discovered this secret under-world of apiarists!
In the rest of my life, I work as a simulation engineer who also swing-dances - and if I ever get enough time I'm going to stick a web-cam in my hive and broadcast the images.
Thanks for the forum

Swingbyte

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
New beekeeper from Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 05:02:30 pm »
Welcome aboard.  Wow, this lady has been keeping you busy!!  That's great news!  There are a few other aussies here.  Glad to have you!