2 (12.5%)
Sunday August 31st
7 (43.8%)
Monday September 1st
1 (6.3%)
Make it a 2 day event?
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: B Square for Labor Day Weekend 2008.  (Read 84776 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
B Square for Labor Day Weekend 2008.
« on: February 21, 2008, 11:33:00 pm »
I have cleared it with my social secretary and it is a GO for a beekeepers gathering at the Bray Residence over Labor Day Weekend.

I will need to know if you prefer Saturday August 30th, Sunday August 31st, or Monday September 1st. 
(Note to Moderator-can you set up a poll for that?)

If Saturday, your host will be distracted with incoming birds from a pigeon race.
For you bikers who might be interested, I believe this is the weekend for the Oyster Run so motel space will be sparse to unavailable.
A 3 day event is not out of the question.
Even though I live on an Island you can drive to my door--aren't bridges wonderful?

The Event:
I will have the Barbie (2) going. 
The Cider Press will be in the Orchard near the bee yard. You might consider BYOB (Bring your own Bucket) to take home what cider you press.
I will supply hamburgers, hot dogs, and buns.  Please bring a side dish.  Remember I am lactose intolerant if you want me to sample your contribution.

For those interested in staying a few days:
There are 7 lakes ( we have 12) for fishing or swimming on this Island and 1 of only 2 places in the world where you can find an Island within and Island (the other place is Japan).
A ferry ride through the San Juans is recommended--you can go as a foot passenager, spend a few hours in Friday Harbor, and ride back on a returning ferry.
Washington Park has great trails and is known world wide (I met people in Japan who knew of the park) and offers overnight camping.
Deception Pass State Park offers camping, fishing, great hiking, scuba diving, etc., and was built, in part, by 2 of my Uncles under the CCC project during the Depression.
Seafood selection is excellent and offers just about everything you can imagine and locally caught.
Mount Erie, 1394 feet, gives a airplane view of northern Puget Sound--You can see from Seattle to Victoria, B.C..

I will attempt to answer all questions either here on the forum or via PM.

BTW B Square is a pun on my inititals BB = B2.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:05:57 pm by buzzbee »
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: B Square for Labor Day Weekend 2008.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:07:36 am »
that would be super!!  of course, i won't know for a bit about our schedule, but i think hubby should be CONUS at that time  :-).  BYOB and BYOM?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:31:54 am »
Brian, you are a wonderful man.  How distracted are you by the pigeon stuff, that might be a really cool event for some of us to witness, but you must firstly think of yourself.  Having a whole whack of people over while you are trying to focus on something else might be very very difficult for you.  Maybe you should put the poll to Sunday or Monday, leave Saturday for yourself, unless you would like to perform and show us all how you handle the pigeons, that could be cool too. 

But I think that ball should be in your hand as to when you want the BBQ.  You are very gracious in offering this.  I will revisit all the stuff that you are going to do, because I think that I would like to come over a day or so in advance and help you and your Wife out, I know that there is lots that needs to be done and I could be a great helper for you and your Wife.

We will come down in our 5th wheel and stay nearby for a couple of days, we will make this a little getaway for Ken and I, and this will be a good thing.  Thank you Brian, let me know your thoughts on help you would need.  I am a strong, tiny little woman, but don't let the height fool ya, I can really help out a lot with work that needs to be done, trust me, I am a tough ol' broad!!!!  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, we be lovin' our great life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 06:07:29 am »
Brian!

Put me down for 2 adults, one 3 year old, and one 2 month old.   :-D
This will be so cool to finally meet folks from the forum!
Looking forward to the cider, I think that will be really neat for my daughter to see where apple juice comes from.
Can't forget, everyone has to bring honey from their hives for everyone to sample!!!
Man, I'm really excited about this!!!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 10:53:52 am »
Oh I wish I could come "up" there for the meeting.  Our dahlia society ( of which I am president ) host a flower show that weekend or I might come up.  Drat...poo :-\

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 11:06:28 pm »
Brian!

Put me down for 2 adults, one 3 year old, and one 2 month old.   :-D
This will be so cool to finally meet folks from the forum!
Looking forward to the cider, I think that will be really neat for my daughter to see where apple juice comes from.
Can't forget, everyone has to bring honey from their hives for everyone to sample!!!
Man, I'm really excited about this!!!

Sean Kelly

I will still have 4 of my grandchildren here ages 2-7, yours should fit right in.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline WLF1961

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 08:50:35 am »
Hey Brian, wish we could make it but that a bit fer from TX. I lived there in Anacortes for a year when I was younger and hope to go back some day on a trip. Very beautiful country! Have a great day. Wayne

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 10:11:39 am »
Brian, speaking of children.....maybe I could bring my two Grandsons, one is 8 and one is 13.  We are about due for a Gramma/Grampa holiday in our 5th wheel.  Thinking, thinking, yep, think I'm gonna bring them, they would love take a trip with us (probably one of a few we will make this summer). I love to bring my Grandsons with us to places, they are nice kids and they make me proud.  They would have the time of their lives with all these kids. 

Any girls about the age of 13 around?  That would interest the young man too.  He is not really interested in girls yet, but if he thought that there might be a cute American girl, well, say no more.  He is going to be a gentleman, I have instilled those beautiful thoughts within his soul.  Even at the age of 3 he opened the door at a restaurant for his Great Grandmother, my Husband's Mother.  Oh how I miss this beautiful soul, been gone almost 3 years now.....have a wonderful and beautiful, groovin' day.  Cindi

I can't wait for that long weekend, just like you Sean.  Yep, yep, gonna bring some of the Canadian honey with us, hee, hee, it is different you know.....
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DaneDodger

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 10:24:33 am »
Aww this does sound so lovely and it's so sweet of you, Brian!  Is this a yearly get together the board normally does?  I'll sadly have to bow out of this one but if there's another one around next summer maybe I'd love to try to attend!
Jenn B.
central Texas

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 10:32:58 am »
Jenn, no, it is not a normal thing.  It seems that many of our forum members have been doing some travelling and have been meeting other members in the process. Not that many have gotten together, but it has been a wonderful accounting of members that have met each other.

What prompted Brian was when Hannah came to stay with me when she came down for a bee course.  It was after it had been discussed he came up with that gracious and wonderful idea to put together an event as his house for all that could attend.  There will be a few forum friends there.  It will be fun.  It is too bad that we all don't live closer, then we could all get together.  But then....we wouldn't have all the stories about keeping bees all over the continent, and from farther away places too that are so inspiring and interesting.

Maybe someone a little further east or south of Brian next year will have one that could be even a little more closer for other members, and the members that get together at Brian's could travel a little further to go.   This is the best place to make friends here, wonderful, wonderful.  And we can thank John  for starting this forum, so many years ago.  My hat off to John, the best idea that came up on earth.....have a wonderful, groovey and great day, lovin' all our lives we live.  Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 03:02:23 pm »
Nice imput from those far away but I need more info from those more likely to attend say B.C., Oregon, Idaha, and Washington.

Such as Dane and Sean Kelly along with KathyP and the like.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 03:51:58 pm »
I have had six forum members in my yard at the same time! Please, Please beat that, it was fun. Traded some honey too! Everyone keeps their hives differently, and it is always interesting to see others apiaries as well. I have invited Beemaster a few times as well, but he was always working on weeekends.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 01:29:43 am »
Thought I would resurrect this to remind those of us in the Pacific Northwest.  So Far the poll indicates Sunday is the best day.

How about Cx000005 from Kirkland or Peek-a-boo frin Buckley, surely she could hit a ride with Sean Kelly. 

Need to hear from more of you.

Offline mudlakee

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 09:07:12 pm »
Sure wish I could be there!!! Tony

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 09:51:49 pm »
Sounds great Brian!  I haven't been up to the San Juan isles in wayyy too long.

I've no preference on day - flexible, Sunday is probably best with full day off for travel on either side and no conflict w/your sched.  That's the weekend after Seattle Hempfest, so should be light traffic (unless there are other big events scheduled)

I'll bring the veggie-oil powered rig and camp out somewhere (I'm low maintenance/low-impact, lol).

Cider-press sounds great!  I think it will be too early in the season to take full advantage but I'll keep a close eye on my own apple trees and also check in on my client's (e.g. Mt. Hood Organic Orchards) to see if anything is available.  (not sure what kind of cider they'd make, but I absolutely LOVE those rubinettes!!)

I could bring some grass-fed bison or other organic and/or wild game (elk, quail, etc.,. from here) as well as various raw deserts.  Obviously a lot of honey & pollen tasting!

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 10:38:31 pm »
I can't say for sure that I will make this but I might like to try. My question is this? On the offhanded chance I am not working in some other place, Am I better off flying to Seattle or Vancouver?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 11:29:42 pm »
Brendhan, don't fly to Vancouver, that would be counterproductive, you would have to drive southwards for about and hour and a half to get to Brian's place.  I think that he is more close to Seattle than Vancouver.  But I am sure that he will tell you.

This is going to be a fun day, it seems that more and more people are going to try to make it, yea!!! and hee haw!!!  Have a beautiful and wonderfully great day, Cindi

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 08:35:16 am »
I dont know, Sea-Tac airport is still like 2 hours from Anacortes.  Plus you'll have all the Seattle traffic headding north.  From Vancouver BC you'll have the long lines coming through the border too.  Hmm...

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Hannah-Davida

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 01:55:04 pm »
Count me in! Unless the US government disallows me for not having a passport...and I'll definately be bringing buckets for lovely cider! And pigeon races you say? Sounds like a gas!
Thanks for the invite!
I'm coming from Lumby, BC....anyone want to share a ride? I can supply fuel and good company! (and seriously good nummies!)
Have a spectacular day!

Hannah-Davida

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 12:38:40 am »
Hannah, Hannah, Hannah.  Stop right now!!!  Before you go any further, do you love me?  Hee, hee, of course, you have to come and stay overnight at my place, and we will head down to Brian's the next day.  You know that you and I have a wonderful bonding that happened when you stayed with me for the bee course in mid February, you haven't forgotten now have you?  Hee, hee. 

Maybe this time you will stay for a couple of days, just for fun.  And I will indeed cook you that duck dinner that I promised I would next time, and JP will be just drooling, thinking about it.

So, we will converse more in May when you and I go to the queen rearing course at Ron's.  Good to see you posting on the forum, I want some of your cider for the road trip, hee, hee, wonderful day, lots of great days to come.  Cindi

anything