Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New beekeeper  (Read 1704 times)

Offline egel

• New Bee
New beekeeper
« on: January 09, 2014, 11:12:11 pm »
Hi all I am new to beekeeping and the site. We have a 3 acre property south of Adelaide in South Australia. Our aim is to develope the property to grow as much of our own food as we can. I am also very fortunate to have an uncle that has kept bees since he was a teenager and being in his 80's wants to pass his bees onto somebody that can continue his lifes hobby. I feel very privaleged that he wants to move all his bees and equipment to my property and teech me to look after them. I am sure that with all his years of experience he has much to pass on and I have much to learn. I want him to stay involved for as long as he can as I know that he still very much enjoys his bees. His health has not been the best and I am hoping that by helping him and learning from him I can extend his enjoyment for many years to come. At the same time I am very keen to learn as much as I can because I have always found nature absolutely fascinating and plan on beekeeping until my old age when I am hoping I too can pass it on.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: New beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 01:06:10 am »
You are very lucky having someone who not only wants to help and teach you about the bees but also someone who also wants to give you the bees and equipment. Spend as much time with your uncle as you can for as long as you can. Most of us have had to teach our selves.
Be sure to update your location in the profile section so that when you ask questions we can provide help relative to your location.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 01:21:44 am »
You are truly a gentleman to think of extending his beekeeping life as I am sure that is important to him.  Other than that, spend a lot of time talking bees with him as others have said.  You are fortunate and welcome! 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 09:44:05 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Egel.  As the others have said, help futher the enjoyment of your uncle and learn all you can from him.  I know it will bee a blessing to you both.  Good luck to you, your uncle and your bees.

Joe

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 08:10:08 am »
Welcome to the forum Egel.

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 09:20:21 am »
Welcome to the forum, that your taking up your uncle's endeavors is noble indeed. My mother left me bees also, but I had transfer them from a barn wall to a hive box tho :mrgreen :-D
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

anything