Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeder caps for 2 liter bottles  (Read 5243 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Feeder caps for 2 liter bottles
« on: February 12, 2011, 09:06:28 pm »
Somewhere in the past several years I seen a cap of some type that was made for a hive top that accommodated a two liter plastic soda bottle. I think it has a swing type cap that would snap shut when the bottle was removed.

Does anyone remember anything like this? Or know where to get them?

Thank you.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Feeder caps for 2 liter bottles
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 11:05:15 pm »
Brushy Mt used to sell them and may still... Maybe Betterbee too?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:35:48 pm »
We've been using water bottles with 1 1/4" caps (1 liter) this year as well as our standard 1 qt glass jars. The plastic bottles are free from the recycling ctr vs the +/- $.50 jars.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 12:06:21 am »
We've been using water bottles with 1 1/4" caps (1 liter) this year as well as our standard 1 qt glass jars. The plastic bottles are free from the recycling ctr vs the +/- $.50 jars.

Scott
how are you setting up the jars-i just set up a whole bunch of half gallon jars-with brass insert(1/8 hole) soldered to lid-the-lids for the half gallons are wide mouth lids only way they come-but the quarts i use are regular size -so i can switch those to any size jar i need pints and so on-the size of insert and the type of syrup that is used is important-i am feeding at about 65% so its thick-but can dilute if necessary- how are your jars set up--RDY-B

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 12:17:26 am »

Scott
how are you setting up the jars --RDY-B

I would like to know also

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 05:28:16 am »
I'd just drill a hole the right size for the two litre bottle and use an empty cap with no hole when not feeding... the bees will popolize it closed.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 09:17:36 am »
What MB said :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 11:20:37 am »
I guess I didn't say the obvious which is to drill a few small holes in the cap to feed... but you knew that... right?
-------------------

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 01:49:45 pm »
Got any pictures for those of us that have no imagination  :roll: ;)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 05:13:56 pm »
What MB said :-D

Scott
thats how you set up your quarts-??? 8-)-RDY-B

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:53:14 pm by rdy-b »

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 08:44:06 pm »
rdy-b,
 On my quart jars I just use a one piece steel lid with only a single small hole in it. With just the single hole they don't seem to be able to draw it out fast enough to store it in the comb but can use it for feed.

It's a good way here in FL to get them to build. We're not concerned with them adding stores for winter etc.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 01:21:08 am »
rdy-b,
 On my quart jars I just use a one piece steel lid with only a single small hole in it. With just the single hole they don't seem to be able to draw it out fast enough to store it in the comb but can use it for feed.

It's a good way here in FL to get them to build. We're not concerned with them adding stores for winter etc.

Scott
so its 3 1/4 hole in the hive lid-?? RDY-B

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 07:37:37 am »
1 hole 2 3/4 for glass quarts and/or one hole 1 1/4 for the plastic bottles

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 12:22:12 am »
thanks for the links and pics  :-D

mvh edward :P