Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarmed hives  (Read 2051 times)

Offline ldivyashinn

• Brood
    • Laughing Dog Farm
Swarmed hives
« on: August 07, 2008, 11:49:48 pm »
Don't know how I ended up here but I'm glad. 

I'm a new beekeeper (April 19) I believe both my hives swarmed today. When I came home today I found two swarms in two different trees.  I had 2 large hive bodies on both, and a queen excluder and a honey super (short) on one.  A friend of mine had just given me some old hive bodies, bottom boards and tops.  I have an extra honey super (short) with 9 foundations.  The tenth was broken.  I've been told not to use old hives.  I was planning to irradiate them in the spring.  I cut the branches that the bees were on, put them in separate deep old hive bodies and placed one of the old short hives with 4 foundations on top and the other I used my new short hive with 5 foundations on top.  I put the foundations in the middle.  I have no other foundations or new hive bodies.  At the moment my bee teacher and mentor is away and not available to answer his phone til August 15.  Any comments, suggestions.  Thanks.  Divya

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Re: Swarmed hives
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:37:40 am »
Divya,
    Did they swarm (split) or abscond (abandon) the hives?  These were both package bees, from this year, right?  How about the queens, were they new queens (less than 1 year old)?  What breed were they?  How strong were the hives prior to today?

SgtMaj

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Swarmed hives
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 11:13:18 am »
Divya, welcome to our forum, I am glad that you found us too.  You are doing good.  This will be a place where you can get so much assistance with learning, it will be your tool to becoming a good beekeeper, and that day will come, rest assured.  Stick around, tell us your  tales and experiences, we love to listen, here you will also make some good friends.  We have a positive and uplifting forum, you will find that out.  Good luck, keep working hard, you are already doing this work.  Have the most wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything