Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Kangaroo Island Queens or Nucs  (Read 5871 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Kangaroo Island Queens or Nucs
« on: March 05, 2010, 07:31:27 am »
Hi Everybody,

I was just wondering if anyone has any contacts for Kangaroo Island Queens or Nucs?

Thanks

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Re: Kangaroo Island Queens or Nucs
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 08:45:42 am »
I only just saw this post after replying to one of your others. Give me a day or three to dig out the details. I think I have them at work, which means Tuesday to get them.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 06:03:25 pm »
Thanks Philinacoma, i'd appreciate that...

Do they sell nucs as well? I'm looking at either a nuc (dependent on $$) or purchasing a queen and trying to find a beek in Victoria who wouldnt mind doing a trade or similar - a few frames of brood/honey/workers for a nuc of KI Ligurians in spring (or i can purchase them frames from him/her)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:44:04 am »
I got my Italians as a nuc. It cost me $100+gst plus the drive down to Geelong to pick it up. Have not robbed them this year. They have built up from 4 frames in the nuc to 2 eight framers now. When I checked them a couple of weeks ago they had not finished capping the honey super so I let them keep it. The weather looks like it has turned for Autumn so I will probably not touch their stocks this year.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 08:05:47 pm »
The contact I have on KI is Stephen Heatley, 08 8559 5045.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 08:42:40 pm »
Thanks Phil, much appreciated...

And i fully understand in regard not wanting to touch your hive... we're about to have all of the eucalypt flowers open up soon so i have to see what i can do in the next week or two as i want to try and catch that so the bees can atleast have some of their own stores down for the winter...

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 03:35:25 am »
hi every one
                 i was talking to stephen heatley from kangaroo island placed order for 10 queen for late September.very nice feller he is heading away for a few weeks ,has been hard to get on to .i think he away for 3,4 weeks.thanks phil

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 05:12:17 am »
No probs mate. I found him really hard to get a hold of too. Once I did, everything was fine.

Let us know how they go up there. I'm curious to see how they go from a cool place up to a much warmer one.

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 10:42:58 am »
hi
   when i get queens in the spring put them in to nucs start of with get a better acceptance .i had some trouble with putting queens in to strong hives before.if they go all right wont cross with Dewar stock they breed nice Italian bees.2 years ago had a hive  gave it three queens didn't except any of them.keep-ed adding brood wouldn't re queen its self.very dear lesson to learn ended up splitting hive up ,using news paper to join to weaker hives.has any one ever come across this problem before

anything