Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How many frames in 8 frame box??  (Read 3035 times)

Offline OPAVP

• House Bee
How many frames in 8 frame box??
« on: December 11, 2012, 07:34:28 pm »
Hi guys,

I have cut down all my 10 frame boxes to 8 frames. My question:
When some producers use 9 or 8 frames in a 10 frame box,how many could I put in a 8 frame box,OR HOW FEW??

In other words,with a good flow,how wide will bees build honey frames?

Thanks for your help.
Cor Van Pelt.
Alberta.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: How many frames in 8 frame box??
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 07:46:13 pm »
First always remember when putting less frames in a box, (10 frame box with 9 frames in it) you must use drawn frames to get the bees to draw them out wider.  If you use new frames, there will be too much bee space and the bees will draw all wild and crazy comb in-between the frames.  So with a 8 frame box, you could use 7 frames or less for wider combs. 

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 07:25:52 am »
First always remember when putting less frames in a box, (10 frame box with 9 frames in it) you must use drawn frames to get the bees to draw them out wider.  If you use new frames, there will be too much bee space and the bees will draw all wild and crazy comb in-between the frames.  So with a 8 frame box, you could use 7 frames or less for wider combs. 

I started on eight frame equipment this year. I followed common thinking and placed my frames in the center of the hive. I found that the two outer frames were built outward toward the wall so much that they were difficult to remove without damage. I found that crowding the bees with a follower board and eight frames worked better. AllenF was correct about the crazy comb. I think I will try trimming a little bit off of the sides of the frames and installing 9 frames this next year.
Later,
Ray

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 02:42:20 pm »
In the supers I usually run 8 in an 8 frame box, but sometimes 7.  In the brood nest I shave the frames down and put 9.  The comb is flatter that way, the cells are smaller and they can cover more brood.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#framespacing
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesframewidth.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin