Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why are top bar hives perceived as inferior?  (Read 36154 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Why are top bar hives perceived as inferior?
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2007, 05:30:08 pm »
A woman in makeup is false advertising.  :-D
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2007, 12:36:35 am »
A woman in makeup is false advertising.  :-D

BUT in the ring there is date "best before".

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2007, 11:42:40 am »
BUT in the ring there is date "best before".

you guys are too funny!  you don't come with a date stamp on your backside??  i'm pretty sure i saw one on my husband when we were in the hot tub....it had expired long ago!!!!

i keep him anyway.  kind of like that old dried up flower in the book....no color, no smell, but good memories :-)

the things we do for you guys and this is how you treat us!!   :roll:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hummingberd

• New Bee
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2007, 10:46:33 pm »
"Lots of people have told me they're just inferior to langs" -wff

wff- I have read the same from so many beekeepers on multiple boards.  Most people admit that "they've heard" TBH's are inferior.  I believe that Michael Bush hit the nail on the head with his quote "everything works if you let it"  One could argue that a well managed TBH would produce better than a poorly managed Langstroth hive under the same conditions.  I have done research on the web and in bee keeping books, and many claim that TBH's don't produce much or "as much" as a Lang.  Perhaps that is true in certain circumstances, however I have read articles, and heard accounts about TBH beeks who have observed their colonies in TBH's, learned the science behind it, and work with the bees naturally to increase yeild. I personally plan to try both myself.  Do my own comparisons.  There are many aspects of TBH's that intuitively make sense to me. So, I'm going with that.

Sometimes I think that the quest for "more, quicker" gets in the way of what matters most.  Of course, I am a hobbyist beekeepr, and not a commercial beekeepr depending on the production of honey for a living.  But if raising bees in a natural way is cheaper, requires less work and is therefore more beneficial to both beekeepr and bees, why not...

I guess it's all about where you come from, and how you are taught to think!   :-P
-K-

anything