Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bumble Bees  (Read 3226 times)

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
Bumble Bees
« on: May 03, 2007, 05:53:42 pm »
Every time I visit my hives I notice two bumble bees hanging around under the hive stand. Every once in a while they try to get to the entrance. I have reducers so they couldn't get in even if the bees let them but I wonder what will happen when I take the reducer off. Will the honeybees keep the bumble bees out of the hive? Should I be trying to swat the bumble bees or is it fine to just leave them alone?

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Re: Bumble Bees
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 06:28:51 pm »
I think it depends on the type of Bumble Bees. There are over 25 species of them and most are very common. I don't know much about IDing them but the ones around me tend to nest in dead wood. The males hover outside the entrance of the hive and go after any flying insects that come close. There is one right next to one of my hives in a wood pile and it's funny to watch as he's constantly busy going after the foragers going in and out of the entrance. The females forage like regular bees.

Offline prisoner#1

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 08:16:26 pm »
most likely they're looking to build a nest, it'll involve making a few holes in your hive somewhere
you really dont want to kil them because they're valuable pollinators as well, they are destructive
so discouraging them is a must, feel around the underside of boards for dents and holes, fill them
with wood putty or caulk and provide a place a little more inviting like a few old logs with
some sort of roof over it to keep the wood dry.  they seem to like pine because it's soft, a couple
of 2x4 cut into 1 foot long sections is ideal.

ag.arizona.edu/pubs/insects/ahb/woodhome.jpeg

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 11:36:42 pm »
Bumble bees build nests in the ground, usually comprising anywhere from 50-100 individuals. Carpenter bees build nests in wood or fallen trees. I would not worry about bumble bees around your hives.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline sandhya

• New Bee
  • March 2007 Rakkasah Festival
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 12:49:44 am »
wow
Im even thinking about getting a bumble hive (they are sold for farms and are in boxes) they run about 65. bucks.
Be Well,
Sandy "Sandhya"
I believe if we give of ourselves, we will live forever.

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 05:01:00 am »
what website did you find that had them for 65?  Is it local or from england? 

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 08:44:23 am »
I have a nest of bumble bees (I assume it is a nest because there are always 7 or 8 hovering around) that is about 20 feet from my hives. I love to watch them and would never kill them UNLESS they were a danger to my hives. So far, the bees seem to keep the big bumbles out of the hive.

I have Carpenter bees as well. I went into one of my outbuildings and saw what I thought was a bumble bee but it was making a small hole in the 2x4.

wow
Im even thinking about getting a bumble hive (they are sold for farms and are in boxes) they run about 65. bucks.

Is this just for pollination? Don't they all (except queen) die come winter?

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 08:49:48 am »
HA! today i saw a solitary bee "infiltrating" a hive-it's a rainy and chilly today, so she had a good reason.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 10:16:50 am »
Bumblebees won't hurt your hive, the honeybees will either chase them off or kill them.  They mainly become an issue in the Fall as the new queens are looking for a place to hibernate.   

Many years ago I did have a bumblebee nest in an empty stack of supers,  quite interesting to say the least.

Bumblebee are important pollinators as they are not selective like honeybees and jump from one plant type to another.  They also have longer tongues and can work plants that honeybees can't.  They will also work at a lower temperature.  All in all, they are a better pollinator than honeybees,  but their numbers are less.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline sandhya

• New Bee
  • March 2007 Rakkasah Festival
Be Well,
Sandy "Sandhya"
I believe if we give of ourselves, we will live forever.

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 05:06:54 am »
thanks i saw those thought about getting one, just most of them are overseas to order but this seems to take usd

anything